Can you tell this young if they are roosters?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by masonsmom, Jun 20, 2010.

1. masonsmom

masonsmom In the Brooder

Jun 18, 2010
    A post from last month has me freaking out! Someone posted a picture of little bumps on their chicks and someone said for sure a rooster! I was looking at my little ones and this has me looking at my own that look like this! Especially my sons favorite, Louise, who quickly comes out as soon as we go to them! Our neighbors probably would not be an issue (i hear others in the neighborhood and am surrounde on two sides by open pastures lots of horses and cows!) and my landlord, who lives on the property did not care if I got a rooster.. But I don't know if I could handle all the noise. They were sold 90% female at the feed store, which I know does not promise anything.... I'm posting some pictures - what do you think? Am I starting to freak over nothing?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is Louise! See the bumps?

[​IMG]
    What about this little one?

[​IMG]
    Any roos here?

[​IMG]
    And lastly, just a cute picture of the little bully! This little gal is so funny to watch. She is very interested in us and LOVED the camera..

2. SugarDuck

SugarDuck Songster

May 12, 2010
    Lamar, AR.
    Wait until they're at least 12 weeks old. You'll know by then. Some grow at a higher rate of speed than others but if it's a boy, his will be MUCH larger than the rest by 12 weeks of age. You've got some beautiful baby chicks on your hands!!!!

3. snowflake

snowflake Crowing

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    Some Say If You Hold Them By The Head And Let Their Feet Dangle The Roos Will Fight And The Hens Just Hang Limp, Don't Know How Accurate This Is, I Tried It With My Babes But They Are Only 3 1/2 Weeks So It Is To Early To Tell If I Guesed Right. My 12 Week Old Bunch Has 2 Roos One Started Crowing At 8 Weeks The Other At About 10 But You Could Tell They Were Roos At About 5 Or 6 Weeks Because Of The Grothe In There Comb And Waddles They Are Only A Little Bet Bigger Then The Hens But I Have Several Different Breeds. They Are So Much Fun To Watch!!!!! GREAT PICS BY THE WAY, THEY ARE SO SWEET

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by