Can you tell what breed and sex these are?

mbefd99

Hatching
Jul 23, 2015
Redwood City
Hi. I received these 2 chicks about 2 months ago and looks like they're both hens but I don't know their breeds. Also, how can I introduce them to my first hen who lives in the coop and laying eggs? Is it possible to put them all together without them hurting one another? Thanks. Efrat

This pic shows the first hen in her coop. I don't know her breed either.

The red one is a Production Red, the black and yellow one is a Gold Laced Wyandotte, and the older hen is a hatchery-quality Buff Orpington. Your Wyandotte does look to be a pullet, but the red one appears to be a cockerel if it is indeed only eight weeks old. It is usually best to introduce them once they are twelve weeks of age or older, but if she is your only hen, she might enjoy some company. :)

Thank you. I received them when they just started getting grown up feathers so I assumed 2 weeks old or so? and I had them since July 21 so 9 weeks by now. The red one was always bigger and more aggressive. it is now changing it's voice and so far sounds like a hen. I tried to put it with the hen in the coop, but the hen chased it away and I put it back with the other one. The yellow hen has a lion rabbit with her since she was a chick and considered him as her mom, so she may be protective of him too..? Would it be best to introduce both at the same time, and perhaps remove the rabbit so they out number her, in a few more weeks?

Production Red cockerel
Golden Laced Wyandotte pullet
Buff Orpington hen

Agreed.
Also, it would be best to add them both at the same time. It would be better if they could meet through the fence first. Maybe put their cage next to hers. I wouldn't remove the rabbit if that's her only friend. There will be pecking and chasing at first, but don't interfere unless it's severe. Everything should calm down after a few days. Good luck. :)

Back
Top Bottom