Can you tell what color a BBS chick will be, or do you need to wait for them to feather out?

doughouse

Songster
Apr 14, 2020
Boston, MA
I've been trying to see if I could find a thread on this in the forum archives, but didn't have much luck.

We just put in an order for chicks this spring, including one blue/black/splash chick. I'm curious if we'll be able to tell if she's going to be blue, black, or splash right away or if we'll need to wait for her feathers to come in. How apparent will it be when they're tiny little fluff balls?

I've been trying to see if I could find a thread on this in the forum archives, but didn't have much luck.

We just put in an order for chicks this spring, including one blue/black/splash chick. I'm curious if we'll be able to tell if she's going to be blue, black, or splash right away or if we'll need to wait for her feathers to come in. How apparent will it be when they're tiny little fluff balls?
Sometimes if it is a darker blue it can be hard to tell, but you should be fine! I've always been able to tell them apart unless they were a silkie.

Screenshot_20210527-091031.png

She's a three-week-old BBS white crested polish chick. I initially thought she was black because her down was so dark, but her feathers are coming in a little lighter. I know we'll know for sure if she blue or black in just a few weeks, but what do you think based on how she's feathering out?

View attachment 2690749

She's a three-week-old BBS white crested polish chick. I initially thought she was black because her down was so dark, but her feathers are coming in a little lighter. I know we'll know for sure if she blue or black in just a few weeks, but what do you think based on how she's feathering out?
Are you sure it’s pure polish? The wings look blue but the back look black.

Back
Top Bottom