Can you tell which end is up?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by minihorse927, Dec 11, 2010.

1. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    I have never had this problem before. I have 12 silkie eggs to set in the incubator probably tomorrow. The problem is that 4 of them are uniform in shape, they have no small end! When you candle them they are to dark to tell where the air cell is. Can you tell which end is up because I sure can't? [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Figure I will incubate those 4 on their side and hand turn them until they get some growth so I can see the air cell and go from there. Uhg, I hate hand turning too.[​IMG]
    Here they are, the 4 on their side if you are any better than me!
    [​IMG]

2. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    Float test?

Fill a bowl with water deep enough to float the egg. The end that is up, has the air cell.

3. TACEYPERKINS

TACEYPERKINS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Medford,Oregon
    dont float them, you wouldn't want to harm or contaminate them. Try candling them, you can see which end has the air cell. Good luck

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:The large end is all to the left of the photos. And yes it is hard to tell in person.

5. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    Quote:x2 They may not float much.. But the end with the air cell will raise a bit higher..

6. debilorrah

Quote:I agree!!!

7. minihorse927

Nov 3, 2010
    Well, that must have been a lucky coincidece cause now I can see it looking at them on the counter. LOL
    I will not float as I have sistern water so it is not the cleanest of all waters around and I have seen people float and then nothing hatched but when they did not float, everything hatched. I think I may need some sleep, all this incubating is wearing me out...

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  8. debilorrah

Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] I SOOO feel your pain.....

9. minihorse927

Nov 3, 2010

The even sadder thing is that when I woke up the other morning and my power was out which means I had no blower for my woodstove, I started the generator, ran the extension cord and plugged in 2 incubators and went back to sleep!

10. debilorrah

The even sadder thing is that when I woke up the other morning and my power was out which means I had no blower for my woodstove, I started the generator, ran the extension cord and plugged in 2 incubators and went back to sleep!

HAHAHA!!! I have been there too - had to transfer the bator to the car - used the lighter plug!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by