Can you tell who is a cockeral?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rcentner, Dec 29, 2010.

1. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    Some of these I know, but most I dont know if I have cockerals or pullets. I fear I have 5 cockerals and 2 pullets but I would like you guys to prove me wrong!

the ones I don't know:
    #1 - 8 wk old wyandotte mix...hard to get a good pic of this one
    [​IMG]

#2 - 10 wk old phoenix mix.
    [​IMG]

#3 - 8 wk old BR - looks like a cockeral to me since this one is much lighter than the 10 wk old BR pullet
    [​IMG]

#4 - wyandotte mix? 10 wk old, pullet? I hope this is a pullet, she came out with green legs and none of her possible parents have green legs. 2 pics of this one
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#5 - 10 wk old BR pullet, I am pretty sure on this one
    [​IMG]

#6 and #7 I am sure are cockerals, one is a BR phoenix mix and the other is a phoenix mix who looks just like his daddy did when he was a chick. the BR mix is already crowing!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

#'s 2,3, 6, and 7 all look like boys to me, I'm not sure about #1 but I'm leaning towards boy.

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Agree, I'm leaning towards boy on #1 too.

4. smith2

smith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    Yes, I agree. I am also leaning towards boy on # 1 as well. If I had a side shot of #1, I might be able to tell better.

5. Hillsvale

Hillsvale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    1 looks like a pullet to me.... 2 looks like a Roo, the rest I agree withyou.

The ony other coment I will make is that your BR are not... the feathering is not barred and looks much like one of my mutts that we had a breeder determine was a blend between a whyandotte and something else which begin with W that I can't for the life of me remember now, not a common breed though (the breeder I got a bunch of birds from did not manage to produce a thing I asked for!... but not the same breeder that identifiedhim). My hen was very dark and simply keeled over one day... she was a great layer, my roo is dark grey / white mix and is very pretty... so much so that I don't have the heart to cull even though I have too many roos.

6. rcentner

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    Quote:It is a possibility that they are BR wyandotte mix...

there are 3 roos that could have "fathered" these...I took some BR eggs and was hoping some were pure bred, but I have a BR roo, splash BLR wyandotte roo and a phoenix mix roo.
    the hens are either BR's, splash BLRW or phoenix mix bantams. now I do wonder about the quality of one of my BR hens and I couldn't tell which egg was from which BR hen

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think four and five are girls, the rest are boys. Number four has pretty coloring!

8. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    Quote:i agree

9. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Quote:x2

10. rcentner

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    [​IMG] what a terrible ratio! 2 to 5, anyone need any pretty cockerals?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by