Can you tell yet?

luvchicks8

Songster
10 Years
Jul 1, 2009
new Hampshire
Is it to early to tell gender? Also is he/she old enough to go outside with "momma" to keep her warm?
35748_chickensducks_187.jpg

35748_chickensducks_186.jpg

35748_chickensducks_185.jpg

I think "momma" could keep him/her warm and they would be fine so long as you have them in a secure coop. As for the sex...hard to say at that age but looks kind of rooie to me.

Quote:
Probally a roo I am really good at picking the roos lol. I don't mind though it is my only D'uccle just means I need to get a hen in the spring for him lol.

Pullet. By 4 weeks there should be some sort of sign of a comb. Of course, D'Uccles don't, or at least shouldn't, be known for big combs - But to my experience with any single combed bird, you should be able to sex them by comb at 4 weeks. This little'un has hardly any comb at all.

Quote:
That was my hope when I picked this one others had slightly larger combs this chicks has barely any. Well I will have to wait to see.

Quote:
This is the first I have heard of this, comb at 4 weeks. I have two chicks and aside from not knowin breed they were born on the weekend of 8/21 so they are 4 weeks last weekend. Not comb what so ever. One has lost the fluff and there is a bald patch where the comb would be the other is still fuzzy head..

Is this a hard and fast rule?

Back
Top Bottom