1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you tell yet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by luvchicks8, Sep 20, 2010.

1. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Is it to early to tell gender? Also is he/she old enough to go outside with "momma" to keep her warm?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    How old is the chick?

thanks,

sandie

3. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    I was told 4 weeks? I bought him/her at a swap for 3 dollars?

4. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    I think "momma" could keep him/her warm and they would be fine so long as you have them in a secure coop. As for the sex...hard to say at that age but looks kind of rooie to me.

5. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Quote:Probally a roo I am really good at picking the roos lol. I don't mind though it is my only D'uccle just means I need to get a hen in the spring for him lol.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Pullet. By 4 weeks there should be some sort of sign of a comb. Of course, D'Uccles don't, or at least shouldn't, be known for big combs - But to my experience with any single combed bird, you should be able to sex them by comb at 4 weeks. This little'un has hardly any comb at all.

7. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Quote:That was my hope when I picked this one others had slightly larger combs this chicks has barely any. Well I will have to wait to see.

8. bella1210

bella1210 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    ct
    i think it is a hen

9. scorpio125

scorpio125 New Egg

Sep 27, 2010
    Quote:This is the first I have heard of this, comb at 4 weeks. I have two chicks and aside from not knowin breed they were born on the weekend of 8/21 so they are 4 weeks last weekend. Not comb what so ever. One has lost the fluff and there is a bald patch where the comb would be the other is still fuzzy head..

Is this a hard and fast rule?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by