Can you tell?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bcmama, May 29, 2016.

1. bcmama

bcmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2012
    My Coop
    I picked up this little EE at the feed store. "She" is about 21 days old. Any ideas what what "she" might look like? "She" is feathering fast and I have not had an EE hold her tail feathers up so straight at such an early age. Is it a sign? Those tail feathers never go down. Thanks for looking.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    She's not screaming cockerel, but it's too early to call pullet with confidence. Lots of EE have very upright tails, it's not indicative of gender.

Watch for reddening and plumping of the comb, that's going to be your good sign of a cockerel. And red patches of color on the wings.

Post again around 6 weeks old, it should be definitive by then.

With her coloring, she's probably going to have a wild-type brown look, similar to this.....

[​IMG]

3. bcmama

Jul 12, 2012
    My Coop
    Makes me happy to hear that nothing screams cockerel...yet. I know it's a stretch to ask for any sexing at such a young age. Know anything about Buff Brahmas because I know nothing. This is my first. What do you think? What do you think we might look like? Any cockerel specifics yet?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

I don't have a clue, but at least wanted to say they were cute.
    [​IMG]

5. bcmama

Jul 12, 2012
    My Coop
    Thanks! I'm quite fond of both of them. :)

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It's way early, especially for a slower maturing breed like a Brahma, but I'm getting a roo-vibe from the chick, sorry. The rows on the comb, the thick sturdy legs, so upright....none of those things are definite, of course, but overall it's making me think cockerel.

I'd love to see continued pictures of it as it ages [​IMG]

7. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

X2 We have an EE hen that looked just like "her" as a chick and now looks just like the adult that donrae has posted. I don't know anything about Brahmas gender wise, so I can't be much help. He/she is very pretty though! The EE is too! :)

8. bcmama

Jul 12, 2012
    My Coop
    I will do. It's always so much fun trying to figure out what you have. I kind of like not having a guarantee. It make raising chicks so much more fun [​IMG]

9. bcmama

Jul 12, 2012
    My Coop
    If this little chick turns out like the one posted I will be so happy. Such a pretty bird. What color eggs did you get? My last chipmunk looking EE chick (which didn't end up looking like this one, much more gold colored) was an olive egger. I miss her. She was a good bird. She just died one day. No reason, no on going sickness. Just died.

10. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

She lays a mint green colored egg. We love her (Henny) because she's so sweet and beautiful! I'm so sorry about your one EE, they are truly great birds!
    Here's a picture of Henny:
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by