Can you tell??

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by scarletgal, Mar 29, 2012.

1. scarletgal

scarletgal Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2010
    I am new to turkeys and bought these 5. I was told by the previous owner she thought they were female. I know someone locally that looked a them and said they were male. I would like to know so if they are male I can sell them. They both have beards but I understand females can have beards. I am very puzzled. The pic of the 2 together is blurry so here is one that isnt. I will get another pic of them later today. Thanks for all your help!!!

[​IMG]

2. FarmerGilland

FarmerGilland Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    On Top of the Mountain
    How old is it? To me it looks like a female.

3. scarletgal

scarletgal Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2010
    old enough to start laying anytime. I didnt know if the beard was too big/long to be female. I will find out more and post. Thanks for your reply. It has not changed size in 2 months and is smaller than my tom.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I'm going with hen. I had two black Spanish hens, and both of them had impressive beards. My gobbler has a big, long, floppy snood. And when its not floppy, its obviously alot bigger than any hens. Here is a picture of my gobbler and hen for comlarrison....
    [​IMG]
    Hen- she isn't bearded, but struts like a tom. That's what she was fixing to do when I snapped this picture.
    [​IMG]
    Gobbler
    [​IMG]
    I would think if your bird was a male, it would be strutting and gobbling up a storm. My boy spends about 95% of his time trying to impress his lady friend. Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by