Can you think of a song that was better the second time around?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Eggs4Sale, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    I'm wondering, are most songs better by their original singer, or does a second rendition by someone else seem to improve it?

Any examples?

2. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    I'd have to say Jimi Hendrix doing "All along the Watchtower" was far better than Bob Dylan's original.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Nope, none are coming to mind right now. Don;t sue me if I post later.

4. wombat

Jun 23, 2009
    I'd never say anyone's better than the orignal when the 'Stones are concerned, but Patti Smith's cover of Gimme Shelter is worth adding to your iPod ... She's got a good cover of Midnight Rider too.

Another good one ... not better than the original, but check out Ricki Lee Jones covering Low Spark of the High Heeled Boys.

... and did you know Heart got their start as a Led Zeppelin cover band?

(Yeah, I have a lot of covers in my iTunes ... drives my wife crazy for some reason though)

Edit: Joan Jett covering "Rebel Rebel" is better than David Bowie, IMO.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  5. Eggs4Sale

Jun 29, 2009
    I'm going to have to youtube the Patti Smith one.

Gene Pitney ahd a beautiful song called "Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart", just hauntingly beautiful. In the video, you can feel him singing it, and you can tell he really is singing it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pea9nlJdzMQ&feature=related
    But
    there's a 1989 remake for Brokeback Mountain, and it's done by the guy from Soft Cell, with Gene Pitney as second fiddle. Gene iis great for his four seconds, but the other guy just white breads it and makes me want to [​IMG] and [​IMG] because he's ruined a gorgeous song.

6. Eggs4Sale

Jun 29, 2009
    I think Dolly Parton's original "I Will Always Love You" is superior to Whitney Houston's.

7. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Orgy's blue monday was better than the 1980's one.

I'm fond of the Marilyn Manson remake of This is Halloween from the Nightmare before Christmas.

Disturbed's land of confusion has a nice edge to it.

8. wombat

Jun 23, 2009
    I'm going to have to youtube the Patti Smith one.

This was the only youtube one I found with halfway decent acoustics, most are bootlegs with bad audio ..

Doesn't really do her justice, looks like some sort of euro tv studio audience.

Audio quality on this one's worse, but more of a concert atmosphere:

The version I got off iTunes rocks!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by