Can you train a flock to stay off the porch?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenpiedpiper, Nov 14, 2008.

1. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    Ok everybody, heres a wierd one.

I have a mixed flock of 20 birds. They are spoiled, have a lovely coop with a 10x10 out door run that is completely enclosed by wire. There is even a big rabbit hutch in the run that provides an 8x4 covered area that I have put perches in, and a feeder. Heres the problem....

Every day when I go out to 'release the birds' they flood out the gate and stampede to the front door and porch of our house! (I call this the running of the chickens) We do not feed near the house, we feed in the pen and out in the woods where they free range, treats are not dispensed near the house. however, it is nice and dry on the porch. On sunny days, they disperse after they reach the house, and no worries. BUT on rainy, or snowy days they spend the whole day piled on the stoop, making a huge mess.

Today I tried to not let them out, thought I would keep them penned in, but when I tried to sneak into the pen to fill the food up, they mobbed the door, and forced the issue. We are planning to build more covered area in the run, but I have a feeling that they will continue to stampede for the porch.....

Any one got any ideas on how to break this habit? is it instinctual to spend days away from roosting areas or something?

Even all of our coming in and out, with dogs and cats doesnt deter them, they just come right back, or lay there and we have to step over them! Sheesh! and the mess at the end of the day.....Uugh!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  2. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    They even manage to block the cat door, and keep the kitties out in the rain!
    [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Nope, not really. A gate might work.

4. WyanLuv

WyanLuv Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Iowa
    I have no suggestions for the problem but just wanted to comment on how awesome that pictures is!!! Too funny!! [​IMG]

5. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    I've had a similar problem with the birds and our carport. I finally began swinging the broom and shshshshshing at the same time. When they got to where they ignored me, I'd take the broom and slap it against the siding of the house making a lot of noise to scare them away. It took a loooong time but they stay away for the most part. I do have to keep an eye on them, though, and remind them from time to time. Now they spend most of their time down the hill around the coop and in the woods behind it. That reminds me, I need to go hose down the carport......[​IMG]

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    [​IMG]

When you figure it out let me know [​IMG] I have 40 more that do this [​IMG]

7. Lee

Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Marion County, IN
    Say, that looks like my back porch last year. And then my wife said it had to stop so I put up a No Chickens Allowed sign. Ya know what? It didn't work! [​IMG]

8. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    ...maybe tying a "rescued" raccoon or possum out on the porch might work! [​IMG]

...and just on the odd chance somebody is taking me seriously....

DISCLAIMER: the above suggestion was a work of sarcasm and the owners of Bluey Inc. can not take responsibility for anyone actually following said advice and possibly losing some or all of their flock! You have been warned...

9. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    I put a two stakes and a piece of chicken wire acrossed mine, right at the bottom of the steps. They could easily fly over if they wanted, but because they can't see where the top of it is they won't try to clear it. I will go out and get a pic in a bit. It worked great for me.
    BTW...we don't use our front porch except to go out from inside the house so we don't really use the steps where I put the wire.

10. Lee

Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Marion County, IN
    Okay, seriously, I installed an expandable wood gate, kind of a basket weave pattern. It did the job and easy to open and close.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by