Can you train LGD to leave chickens alone?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by cgjsmith, Feb 1, 2009.

1. cgjsmith

cgjsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    tennessee
    I'm looking to add some pyr/antolian dogs to my flock. The lady who has them says they havn't been around chickens and would need training. How hard would this be? Crystal

2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    you can train any dogs to leave chickens alone... only need patience, consistency, and common sense..... Most people only have 2 out of 3...

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Depends on the age and the temperment of the dog really. Usually the younger the dog is the easier it is to train, but ot always. And the dogs temperment plays into it, some dogs just like to catch other animals such as chickens, some wont pay any attention to them.

4. cgjsmith

cgjsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    tennessee
    I;m trying to figure out if I should go ahead and get the dogs or not. Crystal

5. Mountain Man Jim

Mountain Man Jim Chillin' With My Peeps

It's definitely possible to train dogs to leave the chickens alone; we have done it six times.

I would disagree that younger dogs are easier to train with the chickens, especially with a Pyr. Pyrs are really stubborn as puppies, especially between 11 months to 1.5 years (it can be hell). Our older dogs that we adopted from the humane society have been the easiest to train. The puppies really need to grow out of their puppy play instincts, which can lead to chasing of the birds.

I believe it really comes down to how submissive the dog is to you. If she listens well to your voice commands, you have a fighting chance. It all about having an obedient dog.

Having said all that, I would still recommend a Pyr/Antolian. It may take a lot of patience, but the payoff is worth it. Getting our Pyr was the best thing we ever did. After a year or two without any predator losses, we have complete faith in our Pyr.
    Jim

6. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree it is completely based on the dog and its instincts. Can you bring a chicken over and see how the dog reacts. You'll know if they have that instinct to go after it.

We have 2 cockers. The breed is bred to flush out and retrieve birds. They never looked at our chickens and all live peacefully together.

We just got 2 adult pyrs. They so far have NO INTEREST either. I don't know how long it will take me to trust them, but I will not let the birds free range around the Pyrs until I know absolutely they aren't apt to go after them. So far, so good.

If you can't bring your own chick, ask the owners of the pyrs if they know of someone that can do this.

We LOVE our new dogs....

7. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    It "can" be done , but it will take time and patience.

Anatolians are the most agressive of the LGD breeds, and Pyrs are the hardest to control, but with work you MAY be successful.

The easiest way I've found is to use a shock collar. That way you can correct the dog without being near it, and it associates the shock with the CHICKEN and not YOU.
    Often the dog wont misbehave when youre in sight, and you cant accomplish anything UNTIL they misbehave

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  8. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    YES!

Just look at purchasing a shock collar for the quickest, easiest, and most reliable way to do it. As previously stated, a shock collar allows the dog to learn to avoid the chicken and not the angry chicken owner. I stand fully behind a shock collar. Used it on 2/3 of our dogs with beautiful results.

Before the shock collar, the dogs would only leave the chickens alone if they thought we were watching or if we were nearby. Once we got the shock collar, we would let the dogs roam and we would stand at a distance or even inside the house watching out a window. Then whenever the dogs showed too much interest in a chook, we would zap them. All three dogs leave the chickens completely alone and why did we only have to use the collar on 2 of the 3? The first two trained the third that the chickens were just part of the scenery and were "forbidden". [​IMG]

-Kim

9. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I just got a (now 17 week old) pyrenees/lab cross puppy....he had never seen a chicken prior to coming here.

I have introduced him to the girls through the fence and he has shown no overt interest in them. he sits outside the run while I am in there with them and just watches. He has chased away a raccoon, squirrel and fox that came near the run and coop.

When they flap and jump and get all excited, he only shows mild curiosity. He has been gentle with ever chicken I have had around him....he sniffs them, follows them and lays down to watch them. He is 42.5 lbs of puppy already so be aware they get BIG.

I work with him and the girls every day...being a puppy he can get bouncy and when he does around the girls, I immediately settle him down and he has gotten the idea that he can bounce everywhere else but inside the house and around the girls.

It just takes time, patience and consistency.

I say get the pup...I originally wanted a GP/anatolian cross. Good dogs.

Here is my Casca

[​IMG]

Meeting the girls the first time:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  10. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    We have 3 bull terriers running with all our other animals (sheep, pigs, goats, ducks, chickens), but they'll attack any other predator that came into the property.

Your dog need to know what is allowed and what is not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by