can you treat for cocci and worms at the same time?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by srfjeld, Jun 25, 2011.

1. srfjeld

srfjeld Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Portland
    I'm grasping at straws here. I have an 8 wk old speckled sussex who has been out of sort the past 36 hours or more. She has a droopy wing, lack of balance, is lethargic, sleeps most of the time and won't eat or drink much on her own. I took her to a vet who was no help yesterday and suggested it might be soft tissue damage and to just isolate her and give her water through a syringe. In the meantime I had already purchased some electrolytes. I gave her some and a few hours later I noticed she pecked at food 2 or 3 times but then settled back to sleep. I called a feed store who suggested since her immune system was low I should treat her for cocci just in case so I went out and got Sulmet, made a solution for the rest of the girls too and then gave her some of that water in a syringe. This morning I noticed her wing is still dropping and I just ran across a thread on here saying droopy wing and lethargy is often associated with worms and followed by death. So now I'm thinking I should deworm her... although I have no idea how or where she'd have gotten worms.

So... can I take the Sulmet water away and give her a treatment for worms? please help...[​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    The best thing to do would be to take a poop sample to a vet and have them take a look under a microscope. They not only will look for indications of worm oocysts but also cocci oocysts. It shouldnt cost much. In the meantime, I'd continue with the sulmet til completion. If your Speckled Sussex is overloaded with worms, you will possibly see some in her poop as well.

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

At 8 weeks old I'd put my money on coccidia. It takes a bit for them to bounce back. i normally treat with Corid from TSC but Sulmet works as long as you are careful and read the directions. Try to keep her eating something and drinking. Wet down chick starter sometimes is tempting, add vitamins, scrambled egg..... keep her warm as she can't do it herself right now.

4. srfjeld

srfjeld Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Portland
    chickenzoo... could it be cocci, even if there is no blood in stool? it's dark greenish brown.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by