Can You Trick a Goose into Laying

Discussion in 'Geese' started by gdana2, Jan 12, 2011.

1. gdana2

gdana2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2009
    Midland
    I have two Toulouse geese that are about 9 months old. I live in Michigan and we had a warm spell over the New Year with temps reaching into the upper forties. This triggered my goose into laying two eggs(I believe the other is a gander). My question is, Can I move her into a heated garage and trick her into laying? I know it sorks for some animals. I would like to incubate this eggs to see if they are fertile.

Thanks

2. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    The eggs she laid at the beginning of the month are likely no longer viable for incubation. Why not just wait until next month when the geese in this area would normally start laying and go from there? The cold temperatures we're having now would only make brooding more difficult anyway.

3. gdana2

Apr 24, 2009
    Midland
    I got my first viable goose egg today. Hopefully she will lay more so I can incubate

4. Lund Poultry

Lund Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Brooklyn, WI
    so you think the other is a gander you say, have they been breeding? more than likely they are not fertile. She is young, temps are cold, days are short, first few eggs layed usually are not fertile and also for the gander the cold temps and short days totally effect him as well they need some warmer temps and longer daylight hours just as the girls do. It is the LIGHT that makes them lay. You could put them in a 80 degree building, but without proper lighting it will not do a thing (this is true most times, I am sure there are some exceptions)

5. gdana2

Apr 24, 2009
    Midland
    I currrently have them in a heated building. I am currently supplementing light 17 hrs a day. I have not seen any mating activity but one of them is very protective. I found the egg in a nest made in the straw. The previous two eggs were not in a nest. I am new to geese as these are my first two. Is there a maximum amount of eggs she will lay?

6. gdana2

Apr 24, 2009
    Midland
    I am currently getting one egg everyday. I have not yet determined if they are fertile. The incubator does not come open until Wed. How long will eggs last at room temperature?

7. DaveK

DaveK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Geese lay every other day. If you are getting an egg a day you most likely have two geese and no gander unless I missed something. The original post says two birds so ...[​IMG]

8. gdana2

Apr 24, 2009
    Midland
    DaveK, you are absolutely correct. I have one goose that hisses at your sight (which I thought was the female) and one goose that is cool as a cucumber. Turns out I got two eggs today and I watched one of them be laid. Now I have a problem. Thanks for all your help. Are goose eggs good to eat?

9. PoultryPickins

PoultryPickins Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2011
    Goose eggs are good eating,and from my experience last alot longer than chicken eggs do,though storing them is a challenge.Just adjust your cook time accordingly for the size,all my goose eggs fill up a 12 oz cup.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by