Can you use a broody as a foster mom?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by possumhunter, Aug 21, 2010.

1. possumhunter

possumhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2010
    I gave my sister some fertile eggs for one of her broody hens and 4 of them hatched...

Well, she never planned on keeping them and is going to give them back to me. My question is, I now have 3 broody silkies and I am wondering if I could stick the babies under one of the hens instead of setting up the brooder? The chicks are almost 1 week old and are also silkies.

Thanks!

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Yes you can. Just make sure that you take away any eggs she was setting on. I just did the same thing with one of my hens.

3. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Hens will sit on anything! - I had one who sat on a potato and another who sat on baby mice and thought they were chicks because she is silly. My neighbors hen sat on and hatched Duck eggs. Great but when the kids put a chicken egg under the duck it didn;t have a good outcome.- All the Ducklings followed mummy Duck into the pond -unfortunately so did the baby chicken - now it knows its not a duck!

Good luck it should work fine but do it in the evening and take some eggs away so she thinks she hatched them.

Oesdog - [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by