can you use a de-icer in a hanging metal waterer?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by NYcue, Oct 10, 2012.

1. NYcue

NYcue Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2012
    Being my first Winter with the chicks... Water has been on my mind. I have a double-wall 3 gallon metal waterer. I really don't want to use those tin-pan heaters and also I don't want to put the waterer in the coop. What I would really like is to hang the waterer instead of placing it on a large stone. So I was wondering... has anyone ever tried hanging the waterer in the run and using a bucket de-icer inside to keep the water from freezing?

thanks....

2. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
  3. NYcue

NYcue Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2012
    Thanks debid.... I actually saw that article and have been considering it as well. I saw a similiar idea using two plastic buckets, heat tape and chicken nipples as well. Just thought a de-icer would be simpler than creating yet another DIY project for myself. It's amazing to me the lack of an easy but well designed commerical heated hanging waterer today.

If i'm going to go the DIY way... I kinda have my own idea. We'll see. But thanks again!

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    My concern with trying to use a bucket warmer would be that preserving the vacuum in your fount would be difficult.

5. NYcue

NYcue Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2012
    Your absolutely correct... I found that out the hard way!!! Those double-wall containers are real pain.

I saw this idea on youtube... and I'm considering the same concept except I don't think I'll be using chicken nipples because I want to keep this out of the chicken house but instead in their secure run. Maybe I'll replace the nipples with a simple cup or bowl. Sorta like a ebb&flow design.

Thanks for the replies!!!!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by