1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you use a hand warmer to ship chicks in cold weather?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CarolJ, Oct 8, 2012.

1. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I know hand warmers get hot - but if I put one under the bedding material in the shipping box so the chicks would not touch it directly - maybe put an extra layer of the bedding materials - would it work? I need to ship chicks tomorrow - but the weather has turned cold. I could order some of the warmers made for shipping pets - but it would take days to get them - and I need to ship the chicks tomorrow. Anybody know about this?

2. daoustaj

daoustaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    Ive wondered this too. Maybe if you put it in a sock to before you put it under shavings, so theres a layer over it incase they get tilted in box and it moves the shavings?

3. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I'm using Excelsior pads in the bottom of the shipping box - and they're stitched together. So if I put a hand warmer under the pad - and then put an extra pad on top of it, I don't think there's any way it could hurt the chicks. I could put it on one side of the box - so they could move away from or toward it - depending on whether they're hot or cold. The only problem is that a hand warmer doesn't stay warm as long as it would need to.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by