Can you use a water bottle for chicks?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Faverolling, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Faverolling

Faverolling Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2013
    NW FL
    I was getting the brooder ready today, and while I was going through my box of pet supplies in search of a heat lamp I found a huge bottle waterer that I had originally bought for my hedgehog but never used. Would it be okay to use it for the chicks? I always seem to end up cleaning the conventional jar waterers everyday. :c

2. JesNflock

JesNflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2013
    NE Florida,US
    I have used them for mine, but they were 4/5 weeks old when I started them with it (one of them had a hard time learning, but eventually they all were able to use it) I haven't hatched any chicks so I don't know how well they would do that young. It definitely does save their water from getting nasty in a short time although I still change it everyday

3. Faverolling

Faverolling Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2013
    NW FL
    I don't mind changing it, it's the fact they're drinking messy water that bothers me. I think that I'll try it, and if it doesn't work I can always go back to the other kind. C:

4. JesNflock

JesNflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2013
    NE Florida,US
    You could start out with both until they get the hang of it. I put each of the chicks beaks up to it to show them how it worked. Since one didn't quite get the hang of it at first I left a water bowl in there so she wouldn't be without water but continued to show her until one day she started drinking from it on her own

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by