1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you use a yeast starter in a bread machine?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by buckbeak, Sep 13, 2007.

1. buckbeak

buckbeak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Morgantown, PA
    Sorry- not a chicken or egg recipe- but the chickens LOVE to eat my bread disasters, which I'd like to avoid! Yeast for the bread machine is pretty expensive to buy & there are recipes for yeast starters all over the web, but can you use these in a bread machine? If so, how much do you use?
    Thanks in advance!
    Carol

2. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
  3. buckbeak

May 27, 2007
    Morgantown, PA
    Excellent, thanks. But how much of the starter do you use in the bread machine? And do you add it last like dry yeast?

4. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    I'm not sure since I don't have a machine...was just searching the net for you...found this which give recipe for the starter and then additional recipes using the starter...maybe you can tell from those. I would think you would use your own starter the same way they are used here...sorry I can't be more help!

http://www.yankeegrocery.com/sourdough_bread/recipe.html

5. buckbeak

May 27, 2007
    Morgantown, PA
    THanks! I have to run to work now, but will look at it all more later. I was having trouble finding it on my own.

6. Zenbirder

Zenbirder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    New Mexico
    I bake all my own bread, and use the bread machine for at least the dough part. If you have access to a Sam's Club or the like you can get yeast in large quantities at dirt cheep prices. That is where the small town bakers get theirs. Fleishman's instant yeast, I think it was 2X one pound packages for between $3 and $4. Keep it in an airtight container in the 'frig and it will last for a very long time. Share it with family and friends if you think you need to.

7. buckbeak

May 27, 2007
    Morgantown, PA
    Thanks Zenbirder. I thought I'd try a discount food store. I dropped our Sam's club membership a few years back because everytime I walked in there, around $500 leapt out of my wallet!! I did start a yeast starter- it has to go 10 days before I can use it though. I need to figure out how much to use & in what order to put it in since it isn't dry.
    Thanks!
    Carol

8. Zenbirder

Zenbirder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    New Mexico
    Carol,
    I would put it in first with the liquids. Here is how I make bread, it might help with the "measuring" aspect:
    about 1 1/2 cups water
    1 egg
    a splash of canola oil
    approx 2 cups of fresh ground whole wheat flour
    about 2 heaping tablespoons wheat gluten
    approx 1/2 tablespoon sugar
    a long dash salt
    approx 2/3 tablespoon yeast
    a scoop more flour
    Turn the machine on and let it mix a couple of minutes, it should be like thick batter, then I add more flour by sight 'till I get the right consistancy. Test with a finger for moisture content, you want "not sticky or overly moist but not dry". Scrape the side of the bread machine with a soft spatula if necessary.
    I don't really measure anything precisely, and I do vary the ingredients also from time to time. Too much sugar or yeast can over proof it and cause it to fall, so skimp a bit on those at first. After a few loves you should have a feel for how much to add. I don't have a Sam's Club membership either, I send a fixed grocery list with my Mom. Good luck!

9. buckbeak

May 27, 2007
    Morgantown, PA
    Excellent! Thanks Zenbirder- I need to make bread tomorrow!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by