Can you use an aluminum shed as a coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by aubreynoramarie, Jun 6, 2011.

1. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    I ask because I might be moving soon and since our coop is built into our house, it sadly cannot come with us [​IMG]

in the (MUCH LARGER!) backyard of the other house is an old aluminum shed with the doors missing. Is it possible to turn this into a coop?what would i have to do? Would it be too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter?

I am really looking to spend minimal bucks since this move is kind of sprung on us, otherwise i would just buy the 250 dollar coop on cl that holds five hens. So if i cant turn this shed into a coop for less than that then there really isnt any point.

any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have no clue what im going to do with my girls when/if we move [​IMG]

2. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    Are you still staying in Nevada, or moving farther south? If it is hotter, our could possible just take off one side and do a 3sided coop. I would think and aluminum would be fine, but you might want to put plywood on the inside to prevent the walls from getting really cold or hot. It would be like a coop inside a coop. Also, you can always cut out sections to create windows.

3. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    yes i will still be in reno.

we get below 0 degrees in the winter and maybe above 100 for a few days in the summer. we are not like vegas, though, and generally do not have BLISTERING summers. So are you saying that since the doors are missing i could just screen off that whole big empty space? would that be too rough on them in the winter?

here is kind of the shed but imagine the doors are gone...

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...1&ndsp=25&ved=1t:429,r:7,s:0&biw=1280&bih=806

4. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    I think that would be fine, you could make that whole area screened in and possible make the entrance door there. It would work for the summers to give extra ventilation. We get the same temps here and in the winter we get heavy duty plastic sheeting from home depot and staple it to the chicken's run. It cuts off the wind and snow, and helps to raise the temps a bit if the sun is shining on it. You could always do that to that area in the winter and then just make a little cutout for the handle on the door.

5. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Quote:good idea!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by