Can you use baby cereal in homemade chick feed?

Discussion in 'Nutrition - Sponsored by Purina Poultry' started by prosperityfarms, Feb 20, 2017.

1. prosperityfarms

prosperityfarms New Egg

Feb 20, 2017
    I usually make my own chick feed and ground up oats with it but I had an idea about using infant cereal that somebody mention that iron was toxic to chickens... Would I still be able to use it or no? Other things are added to it like lentils flaxseed sesame seed [​IMG]

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I would not. Even though electrolytic iron is supposedly less bioavailable in people, I don't know if the same holds true with the birds and its a risk not worth taking.

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Chickens are omnivores so they need a wider range of essential amino acids than is what is in cereal/grains solely.

Is a complete chicken feed unavailable where you live?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  4. prosperityfarms

prosperityfarms New Egg

Feb 20, 2017
    No it is available I just try to make our own. I mix in peas, lentils, flax seed, sesame seed and wheat. I just thought since baby cereal is already ground up I could just substitute it for the wheat...

5. prosperityfarms

prosperityfarms New Egg

Feb 20, 2017

Oh they also get fresh greens...

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    That won't provide all that chickens need. I doubt you have a means of analyzing your mix to see if it has all the amino acids, vitamins, minerals, fats and energy they need.
    http://extension.missouri.edu/p/G8352

IMHO, it is much cheaper and easier to provide a complete poultry feed.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  7. DrPatrickBiggs

DrPatrickBiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2015
    Great topic, prosperityfarms! Thanks for asking.

I can’t stress enough how important a diet that provides all of the nutrients a chicken needs to grow is. Years of research goes into each bag of Purina feed. We know how much of each amino acid (components of protein), vitamins, minerals, and energy (fat and carbohydrates) that the bird needs and how much of each nutrient is in the feed. This ensures that the birds will not encounter deficiencies that will prevent them from growing properly. Missing one nutrient, not supplying enough of a nutrient, or providing too much of certain nutrients can be bad for your birds. We have conducted some research with laying hens using some “homemade” diet formulas found on the internet and have found that they are not providing the nutrition for the birds to continue to grow and lay eggs. Every bag of Purina Poultry Feed contains the nutrition in every pellet or crumble that that bird needs to grow and stay healthy.

To learn more about feeding complete feeds through life stages, click here.

8. snow5164

snow5164 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    Ok I'm not promoting and specific name brand ... in fact I buy my grains from a feed mill. That's an option for you try to find a grain mill , they mix up the grains and add the protein and minerals for me .

It's more natural and you don't have to have a degree in nutrition to understand the label ,
    Good luck ,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by