Can you use baby cereal in homemade chick feed?

prosperityfarms

Hatching
Feb 20, 2017
I usually make my own chick feed and ground up oats with it but I had an idea about using infant cereal that somebody mention that iron was toxic to chickens... Would I still be able to use it or no? Other things are added to it like lentils flaxseed sesame seed

Chickens are omnivores so they need a wider range of essential amino acids than is what is in cereal/grains solely.

Is a complete chicken feed unavailable where you live?

Last edited:
No it is available I just try to make our own. I mix in peas, lentils, flax seed, sesame seed and wheat. I just thought since baby cereal is already ground up I could just substitute it for the wheat...

I usually make my own chick feed and ground up oats with it but I had an idea about using infant cereal that somebody mention that iron was toxic to chickens... Would I still be able to use it or no? Other things are added to it like lentils flaxseed sesame seed
Great topic, prosperityfarms! Thanks for asking.

I can’t stress enough how important a diet that provides all of the nutrients a chicken needs to grow is. Years of research goes into each bag of Purina feed. We know how much of each amino acid (components of protein), vitamins, minerals, and energy (fat and carbohydrates) that the bird needs and how much of each nutrient is in the feed. This ensures that the birds will not encounter deficiencies that will prevent them from growing properly. Missing one nutrient, not supplying enough of a nutrient, or providing too much of certain nutrients can be bad for your birds. We have conducted some research with laying hens using some “homemade” diet formulas found on the internet and have found that they are not providing the nutrition for the birds to continue to grow and lay eggs. Every bag of Purina Poultry Feed contains the nutrition in every pellet or crumble that that bird needs to grow and stay healthy.

To learn more about feeding complete feeds through life stages, click here.

Ok I'm not promoting and specific name brand ... in fact I buy my grains from a feed mill. That's an option for you try to find a grain mill , they mix up the grains and add the protein and minerals for me .

It's more natural and you don't have to have a degree in nutrition to understand the label ,
Good luck ,

I still don't understand how you can provide the amino acids, let alone the proper vitamins and minerals needed for proper chick growth with a blend of grains and legumes.
How do you even know how much lysine, methionine, selenium, D3, etc. they are getting?
Fresh greens won't complete the task but will actually lower some essential amino acids.

Back
Top Bottom