Can you use christmas lights as a source of light to improve laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nittanyxi, Dec 18, 2010.

1. nittanyxi

nittanyxi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    If I put a string of christmas lights in and around the coop would that be enough light to improve laying in the winter or does it need to be a 60 watt light?

2. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    It depends upon how bright it is. If you can still read the newspaper in there then it's bright enough.

3. serendipityfarm

serendipityfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Connecticut
    That's what I did. One string of lights around the inside perimeter (a roof level) of 8x8 coop. On a timer so it comes on around 4:30 & goes off around 9. Still getting plenty of eggs! [​IMG]

4. PoultryParadise

PoultryParadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2010
    What a good idea.

5. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    I have Christmas lights in my coop & run. I had to get the pack to see exactly what is says: 250 Warm White Mini-style LED Lights. This is what the run looks like:
    [​IMG]

I don't have a picture of inside the coop, but both coop & run are bright enough to read a newspaper. Since my little chickies are only 9 weeks old, the lights aren't really helping me get more eggs!

6. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    Quote:They are probably to young to read too...[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. kendra1178

kendra1178 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2010
    Muskegon, Michigan
    We swapped out our regular 60 watt light bulb for a string of 25 LED Christmas lights a few weeks ago. Egg production has been the same or better for us since we switched. I did it because I wanted to avoid the fire risk of a regular bulb. Our timer goes on around 4am and off around 8am.

8. Moabite

Moabite Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Utah
    I put up a string of rope lights and after a couple weeks, my egg production went from nill to 4 or 5 from 6 a day.[​IMG]

9. Moabite

Feb 24, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:LED's are cool to the touch, this is so good to know, thank you.

10. Moabite

Feb 24, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Is that a Christmas tree I see in your coop? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by