Can you use DLM in a tractor?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Ecoria, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Ecoria

Ecoria Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2012
    Glen Allen, VA
    I built a tractor for my girls. large rectangle wired bottom with a coop on top of half of it. it has a removable floor that slides out for easy cleaning (most of the poop and shavings/hay just fall as its pulled out, then it gets sprayed off). The Deep Litter Method sounds like a great alternative to my normal cleaning routine but I was wondering if it would work in a tractor. Any thoughts?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

You might try sweet PDZ (a thick layer of it) and scoop out the poo with a kitty litter scoop daily???

You can try deep litter to see if it works for you.

3. Ecoria

Ecoria Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2012
    Glen Allen, VA
    What is sweet PDZ?

4. colburg

colburg Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2012
    Loving, NM
    Have you thought about using a wire mesh for the bottom of the coop? No clean-up. EVER.[​IMG] Well maybe a little. Like hitting the mesh with a stick if anything sticks to the wire. But that's it.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

It is a horse stall refresher they sell at the feed store. I like the powder but it comes in granules too. You can search byc or google to see some other chicken owners like it too. Peeps like it on their poop boards especially.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by