1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can you use dog shampoo on chickens?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jason180sx, Nov 5, 2011.

1. jason180sx

jason180sx Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    ireland
    hi
    can you use dog shampoo on your chicken or is there shampoo you can get for your chicken

2. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:A lot of breeders use dog flea shampoo on their chickens for mite control. Be careful to not get it in their eyes. [​IMG]

3. jason180sx

Mar 26, 2011
    ireland
    ok
    but i am going to a chicken show and i want to clean mine

4. jason180sx

Mar 26, 2011
    ireland
    anyone

5. Henferno

Henferno Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Waushara County, WI
    Sure can. I use white dog shampoo especially on my white and black chickens, it looks great. Again, as with any pet shampoo, careful not to get it in their eyes. I also recommend Woolite.

6. GotGame

GotGame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    Anyone?

I think someone answered you above. How is their answer unclear?​

7. gypsy's chixs

gypsy's chixs New Egg

Aug 6, 2011
    Id stay away from puppy shampoos. The ingredient that makes them tearless can also be drying to the skin. And as for the eyes you can wash them with any basic eye wash after the shampooing. Whitening shampoos can also be striping of the natural oils so becareful with that too you can use it just not too often or too much.

8. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

i always used blue shampoo u would use on show cattle or sheep. u can get it at any feed store. as for the colored birds, id use suave clearifying shampoo and then rinse in vinager water tp take out all the soap and make the feathers soft. them id use eye drops for there eyes and bag balm for there feet, combs, and beak. always did well with my show birds. got first on alot of them.

9. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Have you bought it yet? If not, buy horse shampoo. Horses have very delicate skin, so horse shampoo is really mild, and also usually really good at getting stains out.

I use Orvis to wash every kind of animal on the place, except ducks don't get washed. They get a tub of clean water and they clean themselves up show ready bright.

10. Henferno

Henferno Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Waushara County, WI
    Quote:I put a little blueing liquid in the duck pond before the show, it seems to make them whiter, and it's fun to watch them try to eat the blueing swirls... XD

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by