can you use food grade de on chicks?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KauAnnie, Jul 25, 2011.

1. KauAnnie

KauAnnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui
    I found a mom and chick that look infested, should i use food grade de?

2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    DE is a preventive. Sevin dust would be a better choice. You can sprinkle DE in the brooder on the floor. I always wear a mask when dealing with DE or cleaning up after the chickens. Good luck.

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Agree 100%. In fact, DE is just a waste of money and time. Sevin is safe for hens and chicks.........Pop

4. KauAnnie

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui
    OK thanks.

5. KauAnnie

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui
    Quote:What is the entire type of sevin do I buy. We went to walmart and the sevin we read said not to apply onto pets. But I forget what it was called. Hmmm...

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:What is the entire type of sevin do I buy. We went to walmart and the sevin we read said not to apply onto pets. But I forget what it was called. Hmmm...

Pop is absolutely correct; use sevin dust.
    [​IMG]

7. KauAnnie

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui
  8. NCchicken

NCchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Thanks for adding the picture! Now I know what to look for too!

9. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Actually any of the Sevin is good. That`s a misleading disclaimer. As I`ve been using any of it for 53 years on all my fowl, I!m not afraid to recommend it for even broodies with chicks, as I`ve done it and never had a problem. You do have to do it again in 10 days to get the hatchlings. Thanks for the pic, dawg..........Pop

10. NCchicken

NCchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Ok this might be a dumb question as I am only familiar with de, but can you sprinkle the seven dust on their food too or just on them and the coop floor? Is it just as effective if it gets wet?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by