Can you use pine chips or sand for coop and run bedding?????

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Mystery Peepers, May 3, 2009.

1. Mystery Peepers

Mystery Peepers Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    I'm building a chicken shed and run out of an old chain link dog pen.
    I'd like to know if you can use pine wood chips or sand for bedding. If not, what can I use? [​IMG]

- Mystery peepers

currently owning,
    dog,cat,kittens,crabs,bunnies,6peepers,soon to be cow

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Sand is great for drainage. Pine shavings are fine (no cedar though). Wood will stink when it gets wet & starts to rot.

3. breezy

breezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Sand Coulee MT
    I put a small coop inside my dog run and closed in the top with chicken wire to keep the hawks out. I put sand down on the dirt and then alfalfa on the sand. The chickens seem to love eating it and scratching thru it. I used pine shavings inside the coop and add DE to the shavings about once a week to keep it odor free when I stir it up and scrape a little off the top. When the alfalfa is looking kind of sad I rake it up and add it to my compost pile then add a couple more flakes scattered around. So far no odor no flies no prolonged muddy floor even after extreme snow

1 person likes this.
  4. Mystery Peepers

Apr 16, 2009
    Breezy,
    what does DE mean?

thanks

5. Eggs-Actly

Eggs-Actly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Daytona - Florida
    don't mean to speak for anyone or butt in on a conversation but I thought I would help.

DE is diatomaceous earth
    do a search for it on this site and you'll be amazed at all the things it's used for [​IMG]

6. Mystery Peepers

Apr 16, 2009
    Thank you![​IMG]
    You didn't butt in I don't think.[​IMG]
    Diatomaceous earth huh? I'll look it up.

-mystery peepers

7. valentinebaby

valentinebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Sherman-Denison, TX
    DE is great for keeping odors down, cuz it helps to dry the poop fast. Also helps prevent mites on chickens. But, be sure it is "Food Grade", not the kind used in swimming pools! Good luck!

Gail

8. Nostalchic

Nostalchic Chillin' With My Peeps

It's a good idea to search the DE stuff on this site, lots of folks use it for lots of reasons, but there are also well reasoned arguments against using it in areas where it will be inhaled (ie in bedding where it will be scratched up/ turned up) or dust baths for chickens. You have to decide for yourself, but it isn't universally considered benign or necessary.

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I use Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth (DE) or Stall Dry in my pine shavings, in the nest boxes, the birds run and places they like to dust bathe. As long as you keep the dampness out no stink, no flies, fleas, mites and such and have good ventilation.
    This site has good information. It's not the one I was looking for. http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  10. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Go to Index, and FAQ's, and scroll down for good threads on DE.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by