can you use soap to wash an egg? - I know the membrane is perimable

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ELOISEtheCHICKEN, Jul 16, 2008.

1. ELOISEtheCHICKEN

ELOISEtheCHICKEN Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2008
    Is it dangerous to use soap? Does anyone know the proper egg washing routine?

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I use soap to wash my eating eggs, not my hatching eggs.

3. ashyannehand

ashyannehand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Wade, Mississippi
    I use a wet papertowel unless they are really dirty. I usually put them in the frig and if they are still ucky then I wash them immediatly before I use them but just with water and a sponge. Good luck!! [​IMG]

4. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    I don't know about raw eggs and soap, but... one day I had boiled some eggs, had the pan in the sink with the eggs cooling, accidently spilled just a drop of soap in the water with the eggs, the water was still a bit warm. I quickly dumped the water out,

but the eggs still tasted soapy when they were peeled. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  5. ELOISEtheCHICKEN

ELOISEtheCHICKEN Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2008
    Thank you for the advice everyone. I just want to make sure no chemicals are getting into my eating eggs.

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I scrub them with a soapy sponge, and they dont taste like soap.

7. Justin72

Justin72 New Egg

Nov 13, 2016
    Can you use dawn dish soap to wash dirty eggs

8. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    I suppose you could, but your egg might taste a bit soapy. We just use a wet paper towel to wash eggs and it works great! :) But I guess you could use either, I just probably wouldn't use soap on a hatching egg.

9. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Not unless you want your eggs to taste like soap. The bloom will protect the inside of the egg from bacteria, as long as you don't wash the bloom off. Before you use the egg, just rinse it thoroughly with hot water.

10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    This is my routine. I use the scouring pad sponges. (about 1/4" x 4" x 6") Cut each one in 1/4's. I only wash eggs as needed, using warm water, and scrubby pad with a drop of soap. Eggs are then dried and refrigerated. Never have a soapy taste. Clean eggs go into fridge with no washing. I never wash hatching eggs, but am sure to choose the cleanest ones. Hopefully, I don't collect hatching eggs on a rainy day!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by