Can you use Tetracycline and baytril together ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kntrybumpkin, May 1, 2016.

1. kntrybumpkin

kntrybumpkin Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2015
    I have a sick rooster he is just over a year old and suddenly started having trouble crowing now a week later is wheezing bad and out of breath we have separated him and I started him on soluable tetracycline in his water because I completely forgot I still had baytril my question is could I still give him the baytril while he is on the tetracycline or is it just one or the other

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

I've given both together in the past with no ill effects. I know tetracycline is designed to work effectively with other medications. That said Baytril is strong stuff, the tetracycline may not even be necessary.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  3. krosse

krosse New Egg

Nov 19, 2017
    Resurrecting this topic beause I came here from google.

Actually, the Baytril information lists explicitly that it should not be combined with tetracycline:
    Do not use enrofloxacin concomitantly with antimicrobial substances acting antagonistically to quinolones (e.g. macrolides, tetracyclines, or phenicols).
    https://www.baytril.com/en/companion-animals/products/

It seems to be a general rule not to mix bactericide and bacteriostatic antibiotics (exceptions apply).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by