Can you use Wazine 17 with Duramycin 10 at the same time?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChicksNquail, Aug 11, 2013.

1. ChicksNquail

ChicksNquail New Egg

Aug 11, 2013
    I'm currently treating my 4-5 month old chickens with Duramycin 10 for what I think is a respiratory infection. I had 2 chickens die within a week. The first one was dead when we found it. The second one was gasping for air so we tried to give it Duramycin through a syringes and that must have stressed it out so much that it died right then. They have had runny poop for months now, not sure if it's diarrhea or normal. They have never been dewormed, so I thought maybe we should deworm them while they are on the Duramycin, so then the withdrawl time before eating eggs will all be at the same time.

Is it safe to use both the Wazine 17 and Duramycin 10 at the same time? Can it be mixed in the same water feeder? If not, is there a washout period I need to wait before giving them Wazine?

There are little worms in their poop, but I suspect it is just maggots. But a few months ago, it rained a lot and the compost pot was filled with water.(I scrape their poop into a compost pot) and there were really long worms, or at least I think they were worms, in the water. I wasn't sure what they were, but now looking back, I should have deworm them then. I'm really not wanting to treat with Duramycin for 2 weeks, then treat for worms after and have to wait even longer to use the eggs. But if that is what I have to do, then that is what I have to do. I'm a newbie chicken raiser, so learning as I go. Any help or advice would be great

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I would not treat with both a dewormer and an antibiotic at the same time. It would put a lot of stress on the chicken's system. I'd first use the antibiotic, and then deworm.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I have used the following combos:

• Safeguard and Metronidazole
    • Safeguard, Metronidazole and Baytril
    • Safeguard and Corid

Safeguard and Panacur are fenbendazole and can be purchased as liquid or paste in the cattle, goat and horse sections of most feed stores. From what I remember about Wazine (piperazine), Safeguard is a much safer choice and I don't believe it has any drug interections, it just shouldn't be used during a molt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Kathy

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If there are worms in their poop, you should worm them ASAP and you should do it orally, not in their water.

-Kathy

And Welcome to BYC!

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Forgot to mention that Wazine kills only roundworms.

-Kathy

6. War Chicken

War Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2011
    Tetracyclines like Duramycin have a real knack for binding any ions. It works best if you avoid metallic containers and mineral supplementation and use distilled or reverse osmosis water. For that reason, when I use tetracyclines, they're the only thing in the water.

If you had to use a wormer at the same time, I think moxidectin would be a good choice. It's cleared in the intestines while oxytetracycline is removed by the kidneys. You can also administer it orally and avoid mixing it in the water.

http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html

According to that site, Wazine (piperazine) and Duramycin (oxytetracycline) don't have any adverse interactions. However, the MSDS for Wazine indicates the pH is 7.5-8.5 while tetracyclines are most stable in acidic conditions.

7. ChicksNquail

ChicksNquail New Egg

Aug 11, 2013
    Is there a washout period I need to follow. Or do you think I can give them the wazine right after the Duramycin treatment is gone?

I was actually thinking about treating them with Duramycin for 7 days, then give them wazine, then treat with duramycin for another 7 days, to give them a total treatment time of 14 days on the duramycin. Is that too much?

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Follow the directions for the Duramycin, whatever they are, don't make up a treatment plan your own.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by