1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you visably sex guinea fowl?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Mylied, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Mylied

Mylied Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    I have two guinea fowl who are about 8 months old, so no one has layed yet. I'm just wondering if you can tell what sex they are? They look the same to me and pics online look the same, but maybe I'm missing something since these are my first and only guinea fowl. Here's some pics of the two.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Anira

Anira Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2013
    Fossil, OR
    No, guineas are sexed by voice. Females can make a two-toned sound, that people say sounds like they're saying "buckwheat". Males can't make this noise.

I have two females myself.

3. Anira

Apr 5, 2013
    Fossil, OR
    [​IMG]

4. sarahandjay

sarahandjay Chillin' With My Peeps

They are seasonal layers march/april you start to see eggs if females. Females make both the buckwheat and chi calls. The males only make the chi. If you want to get them to call take one out of the enclosure they will call to each other.

5. sarahandjay

here is a link to the male call

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  6. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    As @Anira and @sarahandjay have both posted, you need to listen to their calls to determine whether they are male or female. The size and shape of the wattles can be an indicator of sex but it is not 100% accurate. The wattles on your guineas indicate that they are both likely to be males.

7. sarahandjay

@ R2elk can you explain what exactly you are looking for in the size and shape? I am new to guineas have 3 females and one male and to me they look the same but then again I am not to sure what I am looking for in particular. I am assuming males are larger but what about the shape exactly?

8. R2elk

R2elk Overrun With Chickens

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    Normally, hens will have small flat wattles that lay very close on their faces. Normal males will have large cupped wattles. This is not 100% accurate for sexing since I have had males whose wattles looked identical to the hens. I have also seen photos of hen guineas (positively identified by egg laying) that had the big cupped wattles like normal males have.

I currently have two Coral Blue males whose wattles are only slightly larger than their female counterparts. My Chocolate male has one big cupped wattle and one big non-cupped wattle. My White male has big cupped wattles as did my Lite Blue male. My Powder Blue male has wattles very similar to the Coral Blue males. All of my hen guineas have small flat wattles that hold close to their faces.

White guinea cock
    [​IMG]
    Royal Purple and Sky Blue guinea hens
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  9. sarahandjay

Thank you for the explanation as well as the photos.:)

10. Anira

Apr 5, 2013
    Fossil, OR
    Both of my hens have large, cupped wattles, and are definitely females. I would not use that method to even guess at the sex of guineas, as it would just be a guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by