Can you wear old a dominant foot? Doctoral advise needed.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by bargain, Nov 1, 2010.

  1. bargain

    bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

    Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Okay I'm right handed and therefore right footed. I'm on my feet full time - we farm and work about 18 hours a day. I'd say about 15 are on my feet and moving....THursday night I started getting tired feet syndrom one right foot just pens and needles and some right sided pain around and under my ankle, no swelling, no twisted ankle that day that I recall, no falls.

    Friday, I baked about 8 to 10 hours and was on my feet but not walking as much.

    Saturday a long day at market and also on the farm. Saturday night feet swelling on right foot to point of almost needing to take shoe off. Today woke several times in pain, I can tipy toe on left foot - full weight no problem. Right foot, barely even walk on it an unable to tippy toe because of pain around ankle.

    Have I lost muscle. Area around ankle sore to touch and feels hot to touch.

    Please advise on which doctor to see. I'm a little worried this might be bone fragment breakage as I have long term osteopenia but no breakage in about 11 years...On calcium, prescription RX etc and lots of milk products? I do have insurance, just need to know where to start! Thanks and prayers, hugs and love to all.
  2. newchickgal

    newchickgal Chillin' With My Peeps

    Nov 17, 2009
    Republic of Panama
    Either a GP or an internist would be my choices. Since there is an area that is hot to the touch it could be an infection, but you should get to the doctor as soon as you can.
  3. booker81

    booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

    Apr 18, 2010
    I'd start with your GP and get a referral to a podiatrist. Good luck!
  4. Sugar Sand Farm

    Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

    Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    I'd start with an ortho or a podiatrist If your GP is anything like ours you would sit there then be told to go to the hospital for xrays then they would send you on to see someone else. I would cut out the middleman and go straight to the specialist if you can
  5. sourland

    sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

    May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Go to a podiatrist- GOOD LUCK!
  6. Judy

    Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

    Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    A podiatrist is not an MD and certainly not what you need. You could have a fracture or a bone chip or infection in the bone. You probably need an orthopedist, but you could go to a GP or FP and have them guess which is the best bet.
  7. Mahonri

    Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

    May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Nancy, you need to get into an orthopedist right away. Unless a referral is required by your insurance, just bypass the GP.

    I will say though that I had a podiatrist that was wonderful and operated on my foot skillfully and with great results.
  8. SallyF

    SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

    Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Quote:Actually, I had pain in my foot once which was diagnosed and treated by several MDs (we were using military medicine at the time) as arthritis. When it never improved, they finally referred me to a podiatrist, who diagnosed it immediately as a stress fracture, showing me the break on Xray. So a podiatrist may not be an MD, but they see a lot of feet and are able to practice surgery on them.
  9. BirdBrain

    BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

    May 7, 2007
    Given your history I would be inclined to say orthopedist, but the muscle loss and tingling makes me think you will need to see a neurologist at some point. Skip the GP.
  10. Orchid

    Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

    May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    Unless your insurance requires a referral, I would see an orthopedist.

    Good luck, that sounds very painful. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by