can you wear out your chickens early?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by missychicky, Jan 24, 2010.

1. missychicky

missychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    Milwuakie. OR
    I have a light in my chicken coop so my girls are laying like crazy. I was wondering, do chickens run out of eggs or do they just stop producing? does leaving the light on make it more likely that my chickens will stop laying early? I dont want to wear them out so i need to know, is this bad for them?[​IMG]

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Hens are born with all the eggs they'll ever lay. Once they've laid them all, that's it. Sexlinks, described as "egg laying machines" lay almost daily but burn out much more quickly than a hen who only lays 3-4 times a week. Adding light to encourage laying in the winter will not mean you get more eggs - the hen will simply "retire" sooner than she would have otherwise.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    You will hear arguments on both sides.

If you lived in Ecuador, on the equator, a place where there is ALWAYS 12 hours of daylight and 12 hours of darkness, and if you didn't light the coop, the chickens would always have 12 hours of light a day. Didn't chickens originate in Indonesia? near the Equator?

I'm on the side that says 14 hours of light every day, year round isn't going to hurt them.

4. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    Lots of people do it. I like letting them keep a natural cycle. Yes, I believe it will shorten their laying career.

5. missychicky

missychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    Milwuakie. OR
    ok i'll think about that, and mamakate- PLEASE answer my other post!!

6. chickenshagg

chickenshagg THE ALPHA ROO

Apr 18, 2009
    St. Charles, MO
    I'm not selling eggs so I'm not worried about how many eggs I get. I just let my girls lay as they will. I do try to insure that they have good food and fresh water available to them all the time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by