Can you wipe down the Peachicks? Dry or moist

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by stephanier029, Sep 9, 2016.

1. My babies are scruffy. Am cleaning their cage/brooder twice day. I can't seem to keep them cleaned up. The littlest seems to be failing. I have a vet appt on Monday but I don't think it's soon enough for that little one. I have them on Corid.

2. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    Do they have a dust bath? If not, this would likely be very helpful! They're pretty good at cleaning themselves given the right tools...

*I should add that if you don't know about making a dust bath for peababies, our resident Dust Bath Expert, @zazouse , says:
    "I put a box with sand, peat moss and ashes in my baby pen and they love it...they especially like it when it is in the sun and they can bake and dust. LOL."

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  3. They are a little over 2 weeks. Lost two in the past 12 hours. They had 'bad' poop. I isolated them from the other two. Hope those guys stay healthy.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Are they in a warm brooder? If they are sick they need to be kept in a cage that's 80-85 degrees.

-Kathy

5. Yes they are I set that up the same day they arrived. I knew they were way too young and needed heat. They are probably about a week and a half or so. I'll know Monday when we go to the avian vet.

6. Both brooder shad heat.

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Are all the chicks the same age? I ask because in the pictures you posted, the chicks have little head feathers, and I'm pretty sure those don't come in at two weeks. Pinpointing how old they are might help the vet evaluate them.

-Kathy

8. I'll let the vet place an age. Keeping the appt even though the sick ones have passed. I'm making sure I do the best I can for them.

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I have some that are two weeks old today, so I'll take some pictures for you to compare against. Definitely no head feathers yet.

-Kathy

10. That would be great. The two that pasted weighted half what the two 'healthy birds are.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by