Can you...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bigchicken2, Jun 25, 2010.

1. bigchicken2

bigchicken2 Songster

May 17, 2010
    breed a blue from a black (non-blue) and a white? You could breed blues easier if you could. Example: Someone wants to have a Blue Frizzle Cochin but doesn't want to buy one. They have a Black Frizzle hen & a White Frizzle roo. Will it work?

2. OutInTheStiks

OutInTheStiks Songster

Jun 23, 2009
    Thorn Hill, TN
    I'm sure others will chime in with better answers, but we recently hatched out 10 cochin chicks. Our rooster is black and the three hens are white. We ended up with 8 that appear to be white, one for sure blue and one that is either very dark blue or black. I think the problem is that white is often dominant, resulting in a very large percentage of white chicks.

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Nope.
    The chances are real good that you will get all White offspring and maybe other colors that may be hidden in your White Frizzle..
    In order to get Blue you would have to breed -

• Blue X Blue = 50% Blue, 25% Black, 25% Splash
    • Blue X Splash = 50% Blue, 50% Splash
    • Blue X Black = 50% Blue, 50% Black
    • Splash X Black = 100% Blue

Chris

4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I do not have frizzles, but it is my understanding that you should not breed frizzle to frizzle, as it causes severe feather loss or damages the feathers. I saw a picture here on BYC of one, and it was nearly naked.

You might get more responses if you were to edit the title to the topic, instead of just, "Can you .... " Such as, "Can you breed blue frizzle to white frizzle?" Some people don't even look when the subject is so evasive. (I usually don't). It is much better to be as specific as possible.

5. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    The colors you will get will vary. It is easy to think that a black over a white will produce a diluted color, such as blue or splash. However, that's not the case since white is not technically a color, but rather the absence of a color. There could be other colors "hiding" in the genes of your white bird. The frizzle-frizzle breeding will produce chicks, but they will be overly frizzled. There was a picture somebody posted on BYC of such a bird and it looked pitiful. Their feathers are just not... right. You can try to find a regular (aka smooth) cochin to breed to your frizzles to make the offspring better than by breeding a frizzle to frizzle. Good luck!

6. RAREROO

RAREROO Crowing

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    No, you do not get blue from breeding black to white. Unless the white is possibley masking blue or splash under the white. And there is no way to know unless you breed it, but it isnt likely.

And if you have a recessive white bird is masking black and breed it to a splash or blue bird, you can produce more blues that way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by