1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can young chciks get treats?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dr8goons, Jul 1, 2008.

1. dr8goons

dr8goons Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    VA
    i have a few 3 weeks old chicks and a few 2 week old chicks, are they to young for treats?

2. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    meal worms

3. pookiethebear

pookiethebear Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    maggots, small red worms, green inch worms, small cut up pieces of grass, etc.

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Build them a little run area, nice and safe outside.... they'll find grass and eat dirt, and you can give them some fine/small cut up veggies or something.

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Plain yogurt - they love the stuff. Put some of their crumbles on top to help them figure out it's food.

Mine guzzle it now.

6. Eliz

Eliz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    JeensPeeps your right!

Plain yogurt = Happy Chicks

Throw in some crushed honey nut cherrios and they will be eating out of your hands. Or more like trying to eat your hands. [​IMG]

My DH went out to give are crickets some cherrios and he dropped some and are 5 week old pullets grabbed them but had a hard time breaking them up. So I thought they would get soft in some yogurt.

My girls never let me touch them before. Well next time I went to pet them they were glad to great my hand with a quick once over for some food! Even had them sitting in my lap with out trying to kill themselves. [​IMG]

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Besides being something that chickens enjoy as a treat, yogurt is also very good for their digestive system. If you have chicks whose poo is getting a little runny from the heat, which does happen, the yogurt combats that as well. [​IMG]

8. annaserv

annaserv Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2008
    northern Wisconsin
    Hard boiled egg yolks went over really big with my little ones. The whites not as much, although they did eat them up pretty well yesterday when I chopped up the white first and when that was gone I gave them the crumbled yolks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by