Can "young" chickens be in cold coop?

chicklets81

Chirping
Mar 10, 2017
I've never integrated chickens in the winter before. I have 2 sets of chickens I hatched this winter. 2 hatched in October, and 6 in November. I moved them into the basement a while ago, they are now living together in a big dog crate.

My question is, I'd like to move the dog crate to the coop where the bigger chickens can see them, and get used to them and then let them live in coop in march, but the temperature is still colder at night (low 30's). But, there are 8 of them, so they can huddle together.

Will chickens that are that young (2 and 3 months old) be able to withstand low temperatures in low 30's? I don't want to move them only to see them be too cold and die.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

I have a broody with 4 chicks that hatched in October that all roost with the others. As long as they are out of a drafty area they should be able to go in the coop.

Edited to add: We’ve had freezing temps the last 3 weeks and they are all fine. Temp has even been in the negatives a few times.

Generally speaking, most chickens are fully fledged (fully feathered) by 8 weeks, and at that point, should be able to handle the temps you describe with no issues at all. Especially since they will be in a group that can huddle together. IMHO, go for it!

Is your basement heated? If so, adjust them gradually--start by giving them "outside time" when you're home--and see how they handle it. I sympathise greatly with wanting them out of your basement at ten-twelve weeks, but chickens, like plants, need to be hardened off into temperatures 30*F below what they're used to. It shouldn't take more than a week or two of leaving them outside for longer and longer periods of time.

If your basement isn't heated, just go for it.

Broody raised chicks adjust much more quickly to the cold because they're used to running in and out from under mum's feathers and they get used to the cold at their own pace. They're hardening off to the cold from the day they hatched. Brooder raised chicks are used to a far more controlled environment, and you can shock them to death.

EDT: And, yes. I learned this from experience. My mother hates having animals in the house, and as a kid, I once lost an entire batch of 8-wk old bantams from moving them outside when temps were in the fifties at night. That's why I now love broodies.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input! I'm not sure if my basement is actually "heated". Our heater is on one side, but I don't believe there are any "vents" hooked up down there. But it probably stays in the high 50's, low 60's, I'm guessing. Its probably a good idea to acclimate them, a couple hours at a time. I will start the transition soon! yippee!

<scratchinghead>
How big of a dog crate allows eight 2-3mo chickens to live comfortably 24/7?
Hope you have a big coop...maybe section off part of coop with wire wall for chicks?Have you done an integration before?

Yes, I have. I spend a week and every evening, let the young chickens have their own little fenced off area, and feed them all treats along the fence so both groups can see each other while they eat. I do this every night, and then on the weekend, let them loose each day together. I have an acre of land in the woods, so everyone has their own place to run, hide, and scratch. By the end of the weekend, they all go into the coop.

Yes, my coop is big. 12 ft by 12 ft.

Is your basement heated? If so, adjust them gradually--start by giving them "outside time" when you're home--and see how they handle it. I sympathise greatly with wanting them out of your basement at ten-twelve weeks, but chickens, like plants, need to be hardened off into temperatures 30*F below what they're used to. It shouldn't take more than a week or two of leaving them outside for longer and longer periods of time.

(basement) probably stays in the high 50's, low 60's,
(outside) the temperature is still colder at night (low 30's).

Getting them acclimated to your nighttime temperatures may be a challenge since they are spending nights in a 50-60F basement.

Back
Top Bottom