Can young hens crow? or Do I have roosters or hens?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by heatheramack, Jul 3, 2008.

1. heatheramack

heatheramack Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I have three chicks, now 3 months old. I got them from a farm without knowing their sex. A few mornings ago, one started crowing. Now, at least two of them are. I took a video of them this morning and posted it to youtube.com.

Here's the link:

I live in the city, so if they are roosters, I have to give them up, which I REALLY don't want to do. But my neighbors, who have otherwise been very cooperative at this point, are unlikely to tolerate much more crowing if they have a city ordinance on their side.

Is there ANY chance these little chicks are pullets?

Please help!

2. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not familiar with the breed, but I'd say that is an all male crow sound. BTW they are gorgeous creatures. Jean:cool:

3. heatheramack

Jun 25, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Thank you, I' don't know which breed they are either, but I think they're downright beautiful. I never get tired of watching them.

I read some stories of people's full-grown hens suddenly starting to crow. But since these chicks live without any male role model, it's not like they are imitating a rooster. [​IMG]

4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I don't know what breed they are, but based on the coloring and stance of those two, I would say you have two roos and a hen.

5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Beautiful birds! I agree that you absolutely have two Roos, the third one could be a hen. [​IMG]

6. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    They are really pretty - love the colors. I really don't know if they are roosters, but they sure sound like it to me [​IMG] On the up side - if those are their first crows, they are doing pretty darn well at it!

Take care,
    Penny

7. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    All three are roosters,,American Games

8. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    im pretty sure all roos! [​IMG] but that 2nd one shown maaaayabe a hen [​IMG] but dont get ur hopes up [​IMG] this is the worst part of owning chickens [​IMG]

9. heatheramack

Jun 25, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Yeah, when that second one stands up, it has the same tail feathers as the other two and even more of a comb. It's also at least 30% bigger than the other two. So, I guess they are going to have to go to a new home.

I'm going to go cry now.

Thanks for all of your help.

10. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    Sorry. Those are roos. I hope you find them a great home and can get some hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by