1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can your chickens count?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Noble Rooster, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Noble Rooster

Noble Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    NY
  2. nature nut

nature nut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    Thanks for that article!! I love reading about studies they've done on intelligence of chickens. They really are amazing animals [​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Oh course my chickens can count. They know they are suppose to get four slices of bread. Heaven help me if I try to sneak by with three.

4. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    There have been studies done about chickens learning from observation, too, which is truly pretty amazing. If you search a bit that study should come up! It makes me so happy seeing science proving that chickens do have more going on in those noggins than most people would expect. Having seen chickens do some pretty astounding things, it's great that they're being acknowledged for the interesting and, yes, somewhat intelligent creatures they are.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by