1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Can your hen actually HURT you?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by macmama, Jun 8, 2010.

1. macmama

macmama Songster

Apr 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    I keep reading about people using gloves for broodies... or that people are scared of their aggressive hens, but has anyone had their chicken actually hurt them?

I ask because my 2 broodies are downright evil, but it doesn't actually hurt when they peck me. My first one would be puffing up and pecking me like mad when I made her take her daily break, but it was just like hard tapping. Maybe it's because they are BOs? There's no way their hardest pecks could ever draw blood or make a bruise-- do I just have wimpy chickens?

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:No, that's all my broody girls ever did to me too. They are not out to kill and eat, they are just out to defend their domain.

3. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Songster

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Yes they can, I already had mine draw blood. She was fine me grabbing her eggs but afterwards I tried to pet her and she went OFF. Scratch my arm up a bit. Come inside with bloody streaks on my arm and have to explain to the hubby about moody hens and their personal space.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  4. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Sure a hen can hurt you. Mine peck, startle the crud out of me, so I jerk back suddenly, whack my hand on nesting box, trip over hen #2, and land in the waterer.

Stupid broodies.

5. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Songster

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    The only time I was ever hurt by one of my hens was when one was sitting in my lap and took an interest in my eye ball. She popped a blood vessle and it bleed all through the white part of my eye. Not pretty and hurt really bad.

I still love her though!

6. macmama

macmama Songster

Apr 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:Oh, yes, I forgot that type of injury. Yes, broodies can be deadly... [​IMG]

8. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Crowing

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Quote:[​IMG]

I have a scar on my finger where my Broody Aussie took a chunk out of it! Those darn broodies will bite.

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

My broody BO pecks my hand less hard when I reach to check her precious eggs than she does when she's competing for treats I hold in my hand. And even then it doesn't hurt, it's just a strong pinch and is startling.

10. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Crowing 9 Years

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Can my hen actually hurt me? And live? No!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: