can your house bobwhite and coturnix quail together?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Three Bird Stew, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Three Bird Stew

Three Bird Stew Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2014
    In the ZONA!!!
    Can you house Bobwhite and coturnix quail together? I have two Georgia Giant Bobwhites and one Texas A&M in the same brooding cage they get upset when separated and where hatched at about the same time. Its been almost 5 weeks since they were hatched and not sure how I should proceed in the next several weeks. I was planning on placing the A&M back with the reset of my coturnix coop outside and was going to house the Bobwhite in a separate coop. Any suggestions? If the A&M is not accepted in with the other coturnix can it be housed with the Bobwhites its familiar with?

2. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Considering the size and aggression difference in the breeds and that they can hybridize, I would not do it. When a cot and bobwhite breed, brutal is the only way you can describe it. I've seen the "leftovers", the hens and roos people have tried to use to create hybrids, it's not pretty. There is huge argument among the long time keepers about if bob birds even exist since no one ever shows photo evidence. The one thing they will agree on is that it's brutal on the birds. It rarely works out where you can keep birds from far opposite sides of the world in the same cage safely.

3. Three Bird Stew

Three Bird Stew Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2014
    In the ZONA!!!
    I did not know they were capable of hybridization. I do not want to be responsible for creating a bastardized super attack Quail. Or something that would wind up in a South Park episode. I will deal with the situation on removing them from one another as soon as possible.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by