Can your showing girls be breeding girls?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by I-Have-Happy-Hens, Oct 2, 2011.

1. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    Hi,

I hope [​IMG] to start breeding SQ lav. Silkies next fall, And most of the girls that I want in the breeding pen will also be some of the girls that I show in the fall, will this be ok? Or will the feathers be messed up to baddly to do well?

Thanks,

Happy-Hens

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I always show my breeders.

Maybe if you put your females and males together earlier in the year, such as this December and put some lighting in, they would provide good fertile eggs earlier. Once you have a good hatch, you can separate again and condition for shows.

3. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Quote:To stay in their best condition, I would separate the hens from the rooster. Silkie roos can rip out a hen's crest quite easily.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I hve a few birds who ALWAYS stay in condition, and a few who do not. AI will allow you to not worry about the boys messing up the girls, while still retaining fertility in the girls. This is one incidence in which I see absolutely no ethical problems with AI. (As compared with never doing anythign BUT AI.)

5. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Quote:Have you ever AI'd? I considered it but I am not confident with it. I know a lot of people try but can never seem to get fertilized eggs. How often do you have to do it?

6. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    if u dont keep ur boys with ur girls full time they well stay better shape like 3 day one 4 day off iknow people that leave there male on for 3 day week off

7. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    I am not going to use AI [​IMG] and joe17 would'nt their crests come back in the fall? And My coop will be set up where the girls can be sep. from the boys so could I sep. like 8 weeks be for the fall and them be ok for showing?

8. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:it could take up to 4 to 6 months just mater when the molt

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I don't AI; I have seen it done.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by