canabalism among our feather friends :)

juice

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 27, 2008
hastings
Hi All, Do any of you experienced chicken raisers know of a 'non-canablistic' chicken? I heard that some are far less likely to do that sort of thing(also, intense pecking). We have RIR,Buffs, and Black Aust. and so far I think I am observing that the RIR are the less feisty. Is that an accurate observation with you all?
Thank you, juice

Thanks but bumber, I think it's sooo disgusting how they get when they see blood-makes me wish I didn't have chicken place-mats while I"m eating LOL
juice

Is one of your chickens pecking the others? What is going on that makes you think they are cannibals? I know chickens eat everything, but I have never known them to VICIOUS unless raised that way...

I am rehoming my Polish "Punky" because I have tried everything but she is bald. (almost)
he.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
They are kinda like all things...get rid of the weak link...My RIR bantams are great fighters! I got one rooster that likes to irritate everyone and gets away with it except for a little hen and she flat whoops him! Don't remember putting them in fight club training either...chickens just like to make sure everyone knows the pecking order

I have never had real pecking problems with my chickens, Juice. It may be that is because I have never had large flocks of birds.

I've had BA, BR, LB, EE etc. and a RIR rooster.

I do, however, have some disturbing memories from my childhood on the farm. This may have been one reason why my mother became anti-chicken.

There are some ideas in the literature on how to avoid feather picking.

Steve

One cause of extreme agression can be over crowding, leading to feather picking and deaths. I have read min space requirements is 4 sq feet per standard size chicken.

If they aren't stressed out, have enough space, and are all about the same temperament, they shouldn't be cannibalizing each other. It's not "normal" but can be a bad habit if something is lacking from lives or diet.

Back
Top Bottom