1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Canada geese concerns

Discussion in 'Geese' started by blueraven, Mar 8, 2013.

1. blueraven

blueraven Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2012
    [​IMG]

Hi everyone I have a new strange thing going on with my flock that just started today. First off just to let you know i have 3 mallard drakes, 1 male kaiki cambell 1 female cayuga and 2 canada geese one male and female,.

so today was starting like any day for them. but suddenly i was watching my female goose who is new to my flock. I got her in January 2013, full grown and i was told she was this last springs hatch. So i notice my female goose following my female cayuga around where ever she goes and my cayuga is already paired with my kaiki cambell. the goose is also going around and lowering her head at the duck and making a odd honk sound and continuing to follow her. then tonight when i go to put them in there house she starts chasing my male canada goose, and the other ducks. So my question for all of you is what do you belive this behavior is. I am thinking is a type of pair behavior. will she continue to do this or is it part of spring behavior, and is it common for females for does this mean she is male, I vent sexed her and i am 99% sure she is female.

so what would be your thoughs on this and should i seperate them.

2. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    I am not familiar with Candian geese but have heard that they monogamous that they mate for life. I am not sure if your female has bonded with the gander yet? Sometimes they do not like the ganders we put them with.
    There will be someone who can tell you more on here.

3. blueraven

Dec 17, 2012
    thank you for the comment. yes thats what i though about canada geese. So i am hopeing she isnt really pairing up will my duck. I tried seperating her from the duck and her drake. to test how attached she was to my duck. She kept looking over the plywood sheet i stood up to seperate them. but she actually jumped over the feed bins and joined them on the other side.it was really funny. I cant belive how attched she is to my duck. and this just suddnely happened. she has been with them for 2 months. I find it very interesting.

4. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    I wonder if she think she a duck? Was she raised with ducks? Because it will take her a while to figure out she is a goose and not a duck.

5. blueraven

Dec 17, 2012
    I bought her off craigslist. the owner did have mostly ducks there was only one other goose. so yes she might think she is one. I also notice when i got her home the first day she could hear my ducks quacking and she would honk alot. I could really tell that she was raised with them and liked them alot. it didnt take long till i was able to let her out with them and not worry about her wandering away. she has learned very fast how to follow them in the shack at night before it gets dark, she follows the ducks more than my gander. he inprinted on me and hangs with me if i sit down.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I had one of my Scovie ducks hatch an Embden gander almost 6 yrs ago this may, well he was our only goose till last Aug. and I did not realize how much he was like the ducks till I got this goose, He was just like a giant duck, but from Aug till Jan when they finally stated mating he really didn't want to be with her he wanted to be with his ducks so in Dec. I separated him from the ducks he was really close with and now he and our goose are a pair. it takes awhile but it most likely will happen, I would suggest you keep her and your gander together as much as possible, and not let her be with the duck she has bonded with. It may take a bit of work on your part but if you want your geese to bond it's most likely what you'll have to do at least till mating season is over.

7. morgan mc

morgan mc Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2012
    West Virginia
    Hate to tell you this but I would bet your goose is gander and he has paired to the duck hen.

8. blueraven

Dec 17, 2012
    yeah I double checked and vent sexed again. its so much harder to do than when they are little goslings. but sadly yes its a he. it popped out finally. lol

i looked up canada geese pair behavior videos and sure enough hes doing the same thing. males do to a female. I have a silly gander.

okay i have a strange questions for everyone. I dont want o have to by a new female canada gosling , expecially then since they will be different ages. could i just get a female domestic type goose and hope they pair up. or do you find that strange. i know people have shared about canadas breeding with domenstics at ponds, and createing hybrids.. what are you thoughts???

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I see no problem with you getting a domestic goose for your gander, I don't think I'd get one though or poor girl will be caught in the middle of the 2 ganders vying for her attention, they would need at least a goose apiece.

10. blueraven

Dec 17, 2012
    yeah all get two , so they dont have to fight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by