Canada Geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by easyjet23, Jul 22, 2011.

1. easyjet23

easyjet23 Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    Nowata, OK
    Does anyone know how to sex 3 month old Canada Geese?

2. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    The only way is to vent sex them.

Clint

3. easyjet23

easyjet23 Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    Nowata, OK
    Thats what I was afraid of, Thanks.

4. manybirds

manybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    If you know what to look for you can tell by body shape and personality but it takes experiance

5. clinton9

clinton9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Be patient...male geese are bigger than female geese, but Canada geese are too dangerous, as Canada geese will attack you & give you very painful bites if you hold the struggling Canada goose.

Forget the Canada geese as they out of question...they are too wild & wary & clever to approach and they flies at 60 k/m speed.
    Try muscovy ducks instead of canada geese, as muscovey ducks are much nice birds and have glossy beautiful plumages and retated to geese.

It is against the laws in US and Canada, to steal the Canada goslings from parent Canada geese and the parent Canada geese are very dangerous as they are know to cause both huge bisons and bears to turn and run away from Canada geese. Last year goslings help their parent geese in defence of goslings.

For safely of members and you...leave Canada geese and goslings alone and in return they will leave you alone.

Clinton.

Quote:

6. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    There are domestically raised Canada geese that are legal to keep and purchase with the right paperwork. I don't think the OP was stating that he wanted to steal geese from the wild or handle wild geese.

Not all Canada geese are dangerous, many are timid outside of breeding season.

Even experts have problems sexing Canada geese without vent sexing. You usually will notice an obvious difference as breeding season approaches. Males will get more aggressive and fight more with other males and they will be more vocal.

7. manybirds

Jul 4, 2011
    Quote:Our pair is very docile. They arn't wild. You do either have to pinion them or clip there wings though. We clip there wings (though pinioning is not awful like people ofter say, u do it when there newly hatched and they don't even really bleed. it's no worse then docking a dogs tail or dehorning goats or cows. people say it's like removing a hand but when you thing about it it's no worse then clipping there wings) if i had to go back i might pinion because canada geese look much better when you don't have to clip wings.

8. charlindabob

charlindabob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    central Florida
    but Canada geese are too dangerous, as Canada geese will attack you & give you very painful bites if you hold the struggling Canada goose.

Forget the Canada geese as they out of question...they are too wild & wary & clever to approach and they flies at 60 k/m speed.

It is against the laws in US and Canada, to steal the Canada goslings from parent Canada geese and the parent Canada geese are very dangerous as they are know to cause both huge bisons and bears to turn and run away from Canada geese. Last year goslings help their parent geese in defence of goslings.

For safely of members and you...leave Canada geese and goslings alone and in return they will leave you alone.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wow, sounds more like a woverine or a rabid pit bull than a Canada goose. I could use a couple around here to keep the raccoons, fox and opossums away! And the goslings are dangerous too? Nope, I don't want any, too mean for me.

9. manybirds

Jul 4, 2011
    Stealing wild ones is legal but buying them is not. We got ours from metzer farms. They are anything but mean.

10. charlindabob

charlindabob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    central Florida
    Quote:Stealing wild ones is legal? ................. hmmmm [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by