Canada goose gosling died

Jun 29, 2018
I go to this lake almost every day and this one pair that has 4 goslings, the one gosling I noticed he was behind, he was walking slowly behind the family. His wings looked droopy and his one leg looked wobbly. That whole day the family just left him behind and he wasn't even crying for the parents. The next day we found him laying there dead in front of the tree. We're not sure what caused this sudden death. Does anyone have an idea what could of caused this?

So sorry, I am sure this happens quite often in the wild we just don't always know.

It could have been a birth defect heart, lungs, physical no way of knowing for sure with out a necropsy. Could have eaten something toxic too. It's survival of the fittest in the wild I am sure the parents cared but they have to do what's best for those that are healthy.

So sorry, I am sure this happens quite often in the wild we just don't always know.

It could have been a birth defect heart, lungs, physical no way of knowing for sure with out a necropsy. Could have eaten something toxic too. It's survival of the fittest in the wild I am sure the parents cared but they have to do what's best for those that are healthy.

Thanks for your reply! I was thinking the same thing, all though their were a couple other gosling there that had disappeared and we also found another one laying there dead on the side of the lake. The geese do fight and we witnessed one of the geese attacking the gosling one day. So we didn't know if that could be related. But thanks for the answer !

Thanks for your reply! I was thinking the same thing, all though their were a couple other gosling there that had disappeared and we also found another one laying there dead on the side of the lake. The geese do fight and we witnessed one of the geese attacking the gosling one day. So we didn't know if that could be related. But thanks for the answer !

I need to be your friend. I love canada geese. and i raised a wonderful rescue with the help of my gf.

20180805_181556.jpg

I need to be your friend. I love canada geese. and i raised a wonderful rescue with the help of my gf.
Wow that's awesome. I would love to be your friend. I can't seem to find anyone that really like's them as much as much except my boyfriend that comes with me to feed and hang out with them. How did u end up getting that gosling on ur lap like that? I would love to do that!

well, we raised the three ducks in the background, and this little canada gosling barely a few days old got lost from his momma and siblings and crossed the road in front of my truck on my way home from work. after a 45 minute search for them to no avail, i took little philip home. he's about 2-3 months now and since we hand raised him he will eat out of mine and her hand, come up to us (when he wants) and let us scratch his neck and chest feathers. he preens me as i scratch him. he's honestly my favorite creature on this earth. but we had some grass we ripped up and he hopped right up and ate some and hung out. owning him has made me love geese, in fact we got one named luci shortly after (because someone ran over our rouen duck who was philips best friend) and plan on getting luci's sibling mon or tues.

when you feed them make sure its not bread! also it breaks my heart with the amount of news articles about companies and the gov't capturing a euthanizing these poor misunderstood creatures.

Oh wow your so lucky for bring able to raise little phillip! He's so cute! And so is luci, she is very pretty I agree. What is she mixed with? thats funny because the forst goose i found on a nest this year, me and my boyfriend got to know her and her mate and their goslings. We actually named her loosy also!
I actually do have a lot of questions about the geese and answers I'm still trying to figure out. We have been going to so many different lakes since April and have met so many Canada geese families and gotten close to them and they hAve gotten close to us. I was wondering about this one lake we went to, there was a total of 5 families. They lived there ever since they nested and possibly the years before. We been going there almost everyday and then just about a month ago they all vanished and just the ones without goslings were there.. we looked everywhere all the local lakes and had no luck. we still haven't found them yet. The one pair there that hatched 4 goslings, each gosling went missing and we found 2 out of the 4 dead on the side of the lake. The one was laying on the nest dead the day after it was hatched.. pretty crazy.

Back
Top Bottom