Canada goose on her nest with eggs, NO MALE...should I worry?

ItsaPEELEthing

Hatching
Apr 28, 2020
Canada Goose has been sitting on her nest for a few days...no male ANYWHERE...other geese on the property have hatched their eggs and moved on with the babies, but THIS one is still brooding...I have approached her nest twice (once when she was off grazing) and there is no male anywhere. Should I be worried? She's on the property of a business close to my home. Canada geese come to this business every year..they have a pond.
I worried that maybe she's sitting on nonviable eggs...would the male have HAD to be around at anytime? or could she have produce un-fertile eggs?
Should I be trying to feed her to help keep her strength up? soooo worried about this bird!

Canada Goose has been sitting on her nest for a few days...no male ANYWHERE...other geese on the property have hatched their eggs and moved on with the babies, but THIS one is still brooding...I have approached her nest twice (once when she was off grazing) and there is no male anywhere. Should I be worried? She's on the property of a business close to my home. Canada geese come to this business every year..they have a pond.
I worried that maybe she's sitting on nonviable eggs...would the male have HAD to be around at anytime? or could she have produce un-fertile eggs?
Should I be trying to feed her to help keep her strength up? soooo worried about this bird!
Stay away from the nest and stay away from the goose.

It's so sad to watch her. I stopped on my way to work this morning to check in on her...sat in the car, watching her from a distance...sitting on her nest while the other 3 'pairs' walked around..honking.
If there is no male (and I'm pretty confident there isn't) will the eggs even hatch?

It's so sad to watch her. I stopped on my way to work this morning to check in on her...sat in the car, watching her from a distance...sitting on her nest while the other 3 'pairs' walked around..honking.
If there is no male (and I'm pretty confident there isn't) will the eggs even hatch?
If she was fertilized prior to laying the eggs, the eggs may hatch. If not, they won't hatch. The presence of the male at this stage has no effect on whether the eggs will or won't hatch.

Back
Top Bottom