Canadian chicken coop design

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Baileybirds12, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Baileybirds12

Baileybirds12 New Egg

Mar 29, 2016
    Hello!

We are newbies just starting construction on our coop with no birds on site yet. We have planned a simple 8x8 design with half of the space designated as indoor space for the chickens and the other half for storage/nesting boxes.

Our biggest question so far, and I'm sure there will be many! Is the balance of ventilation vs heat conservation. We are located in northwestern Ontario where it is not uncommon to have daytime temperatures in the -30 degrees Celsius range in the winter with even lower temperatures at night. From what I've read it is the humidity that can kill our birds not necessarily the cold, [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    but won't they freeze with open vents near the roof open all winter? We are insulating the coop and are not opposed to heat sources if necessary. Also, with insulating should we be doing vapour barrier as well? Or will this just add to the condensation problem?

We are planning on starting small with 4-6 egg layers as a hobby / learning experience for our kids (and us as well!)

Thank you!

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    There is no need to insulate. The amount of ventilation you'll be using makes insulation a little benefit. By keeping the ventilation high and some shoddy construction joints low there will be no draft on the birds. Many ways to vent but most common is for a one slant roof and openings top and bottom of the slants' eves. Air is pulled in lower end via convection, mixes with warm coop air as it travels along roof line an exits the top end vents. All ammonia and excess humidity due to breathing and excrement is vented out. Nice clean air and dry coop. That's whats needed. No drafts on animals.

We had a mild winter this year but still easily hit -30C on many occasions. That's only -22F. No worries. I run single comb birds in a coop without insulation and without a heat source. No problems if you only have pullets and hens. The cockerels/cock birds will lose a few tines on comb. Just the way of it when the comb is that large and points sticking up even further. Instead of points this spring there are nubs. If you don't want that and want cock birds then I suggest you go with a rose, pea or walnut comb breed. Isn't Canada's national breed the Chantecler a pea comb?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by