canadian chickens etc

emjay

Songster
10 Years
Sep 6, 2009
I live on Vancouver Island and am hoping someone here knows the breeds best suited to our climate, as I'm new to the Island as well.

what breeds are the most versatile, hardy and good egg layers.
what breed is the easiest for a child to tend to, or the funnest?

My daughter wants a dozen egg laying hens
and a couple of the fancy breeds, to watch the hens brood.
the fancy ones will be in a seperate run from the egg layers of course.

I like the starbrights (is that right??), then there's the Cochins that caught our eye and of course the Bantams.

thanks a bunch.

im on vancouver island as well
smile.png

for egg layers there are many different breeds that are suitable, i personally have standard size (full size) australorp hens, buff orpington and ameraucanas. the australorps are beautiful black birds with a green oil slick sheen to their feathers, the orpingtons are gold color, and the ameraucanas lay green eggs and are generally mixed browns in color. there are also many mixed egg layers that have nice personalities and lay well.

for bantams chickens (bantam is the term for small chicken) cochins are great little birds with nice personalities. super friendly and handlable, they frequently go broody as well, generally a favorite breed for children to handle.

and i think you meant sebrights as opposed to starbrights (they are bantams as well), beautiful fancy little black and white birds (or brown/gold and black depending on the color), in my experiance not usually super handlable, but very stunning (i breed these in the silver color and actuall have a young pair for sale at the moment) and mine lay very well (only had them this summer, so we will see how they lay come winter, but an egg a day each since i got them in feb/march)

i also breed japanese bantams, which are beautiful fancy little birds, can require a bit more care than some breeds due to their low to the ground stature (very short legs) but are very friendly and personable, they (along with the cochins) are my favorite bantam breeds.

good to know, thanks Megs.
Funny as I've often seen people advertise Bantams for sale, and thought nothing more then it being the breed, haha. I learn something new everyday.
and the starbrights, that's funny, how can you tell I have small children?? lol.

so what breed of Bantam are the ones with the feathery legs?

seeing as you live on the Island too, do you ever go to the Poultry Trade and swaps?

there are several feather legged bantam breeds, i have cochins and d'uccles (d'uccles are commonly reffered to as mille fleur, even though that is a color and not a breed), but silkies also have feathered legs, and i cant think of any others off the top of my head, though there are more. i have been to the duncan swap n shop (at buckerfeilds) several times, and bought/sold some birds there, the last one of the season was july, but i beleave coombs (sp?) has theirs until nov or so? i think it is the first sunday of each month, not sure where.

Megs I know the Buckerfields in Duncan, went there once, haha. not don't know it well.

I think it is the silkies I've seen with the fluffy legs. they are quite small generally right?

there are so many breeds of chickens, one doesn't realize until they are about to begin a flock.

must pick two and go with that. otherwise..........need more space.

actually i just saw an add for a swap n shop at the duncan buckerfields on sept 27th 11-12:30, i may go, as i have a few birds to sell, and unless i see nice birds of the breeds i have currently i shouldnt (haha) buy any, as i have no space! i need to make a few more runs as it is (probably get started them in the next few days, for my this years babies im growing out)

the silkies i have seen are fairly large as far as bantams go (they do come in standard size as well), i have heard they also make great pets, i havent had them before.

are Chanteclers a neat breed, I have heard of them, but, no nothing about them.

Well, if I go to the poulty swap, if I see a Megs, I will see if it's you, haha. My daughter really wants to get some chickens this year.
I guess it all depends if hubby gets the coop run finished by then.

I don't want to rush it though, I would like to be picky about where and what and when we get some birds.
But it would be fun to go and check out the poultry trade and swap, I've never been to one.

what is the smallest type of Bantam?
you think chickens would be a simpler project then this wouldn't you? haha. it's kind of fun. haha

the smallest i have seen would probably be the old english game bantams.

but yes if you are only getting 2 kinds make sure you research them before you get them to make sure they are what you want, and if you want friendly handlable ones make sure they are used to being handled when you get them, or buy chicks to raise and handle so they grow up with it, as it can be difficult to tame older birds, some of mine are not handlable as i bought as 'wild' adults.

Back
Top Bottom