Canadian Ducks Owners.. Feed ?'s

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Going Quackers, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Because we don't have the same brands, this will have to be only the Canadian's. What brand of feed are you using? and what are you feeding over the soon to arrive winter... I'm in the province of On. Were using, Purina feeds which are fine but i am lost on what i feed over winter for the flock, being laying will be coming to an end soon.

Thanks!

2. missy5

missy5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Hi, i'm in southern Ont. I'm in Lindsay, they call it the snow belt area. I use the Purena duck chow too. I also mix in some of the chicken layer food and they like it better that way. In the cold they love hot oatmeal and i mix in some corn or peas. They go crazy when they see me come out in the mornings with the bowls they know and love so much. I also go to the half price vegie section and pick up greens for cheep. Someone else will add to this i'm sure. Good luck over winter, i'm not as worried as i was last winter, they are tough birds. Mine are calls. Some of them are pretty tiny and they came through winter fine. Angie.

3. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    My neighbour makes feed, he called it "Homemade Hen Ration" Its got a bit of everything in it, with the added protein and calcium for layers. Both my ducks and geese eat it. Occasionally I'll buy a bag or two of layer ration from Feed Rite and feed them they, its a treat.

4. cdnley

cdnley Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    I use Nutrena-Nature Wise Meat bird feed. They really like it and from what I am reading it is a superior product. It is vegetarian, no antibiotics or hormones, and contains pre and probiotics. It also has marigold extract which helps with their color. This feed is good for ducks, geese, turkeys etc.

All my ducks and geese are nice and healthy looking. Not to heavy, shiny feathers, bright eyes, nice coloring to their beaks and feet. I fed it during the winter with very minimal greens and everything was great. She laid eggs in the spring no problem.

http://www.nutrenaworld.com/nutrena...urewise-poultry/naturewise-meatbird/index.jsp

I purchase mine from Horizon Livestock and Poultry Supply, which is a branch off of Agri-Mart. This particular name may be a Manitoba thing but I am sure you should be able to buy this feed in Ontario. Oh and BTW I live in Manitoba and the temperature in winter is very often very cold. According to Environment Canada, Winnipeg is the coldest city in the world with a population of over 600,000 based on the average night-time temperature during December, January and February, inclusive. Nice!

5. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Quote:Thanks for the info. I don't think there is a place in ontario that sells it though?[​IMG] but maybe i'll call them...

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  6. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Quote:I know where you are [​IMG] Thanks for the input.. oat meal huh? I'm not to worried about winter more just a touch lost on the feeds.. we have so few choices here and my farm supplies don't seem to helpful with info.

7. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Quote:[​IMG] what a nice benefit to have access to something like that.

8. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    If you can get Purina..... Mine all love the Flockraiser.

9. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Quote:hmm not sure which one that is.. or if it's even available , we may get the same brands but sometimes not the same formulas lol

Here are the two lines and the breakdowns of the purina feeds...

The Purinature Line is a group of products from started to finisher formulated with ingredients to reach the goals of performance and health for chickens, turkeys, geese and ducks.

Purinature Start & Grow
    Complete and balanced feed for chicks and growing pullets. It will give your birds a healthy start and vigorous growth from day one.
    Purinature Growena
    A complete and balanced feed suitable for growing broiler chickens, pullets turkeys and ducks.
    Purinature Meat Builder
    A complete, 18% crude protein ration formulated for broiler and roaster chickens. This is a high performance feed for quick growth of meat-type birds (chickens and turkeys).
    Purinature Layena
    This high energy ration is formulated with extra vitamins and minerals for top egg production and shell quality in egg laying hens, ducks and geese.

The Golden Line for chickens, turkeys, geese and ducks is non-medicated feed formulated with 100% vegetable protein. From starter to finisher, Golden Line will give you healthy poultry with the performance you need.

Golden Startena
    Golden Growena
    Golden Harvest
    Golden Turkey Startena
    Golden Turkey Growena
    Golden Duck Startena
    Golden Layena (with flax seed and excellent source of Omega 3)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by