1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Canadian Geese Flew Away Today Left Injured one but they tried

Discussion in 'Geese' started by leanback, Aug 1, 2013.

1. leanback

leanback Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2012
    Indiana, USA
    Canadian Geese Flew Away Today
    Left Injured one, they tried to get it to fly with them.

It Was an Awesome moment watching them fly after watching them grow around the
    lake across street for 2 months or more,
    also too durn sad.

What can I do to help this one, a Canadian Goose appx 2mths old, has had a wing problem since born.

I just read about Angel wing thing, I maybe could have fixed not sure if problem or fix now. Or if I can?

It is crying
    Mostly because family flew away has never been by itself, That sound they make, who wouldn't want to try help,

They kept trying to get it to go with them many times, flying over and over landing gosh I wish I had my phone with me to video
    that.

They really tried, that was early am 24hrs ago, no sign of family just one......crying

Thanks for any advice, I read all links law no such help in area laws I'm sure

Last I called on a hurt duck, Answer Received" : best to s......out of its misery and would have offered their services.
    I'm sure supper was their reward. no big deal getting to know your geese, duck love them It is not ok...

No thanks I have no plans to call ask for permission to help it.

advice?

Thanks a bunch
    Kim

Photos Ignore Text on Right Same as Posted Above

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Get some duck/goose feed [feed stores] or if they don't have it get an all flock feed. start putting food out and win it's trust then take it home and take care of it. an injured or birth defect gosling will be picked off by a pred pretty quick. Bless you for wanting to help. It will need a secure house to sleep in at night with plenty of ventilation. I know most would say this is natures way but I would be heart broken to see it stranded by itself when I could have helped.

1 person likes this.
  3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    call your states DNR, or wildlife officers to alert them to an injured wild goose left behind when the flock flew off. All states have wildlife rehabbers and fish and game type wildlife officers who handle this type of thing. You DONT call the police or animal control it is not their job.

4. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    If this were me, I would take the goose home and rehab it myself. Sometimes the powers that be move so slow there could be predation in the time it takes to get help through the normal channels. This is me...I do not reccomend anyone else break laws. Sometimes I find myself in a world of hurt because I let my heart and compassion rule instead of my head. That's fine, I was given big shoulders for a reason, lol.

Miss Lydia and Celtic Oaks have given you great info. The one question I would have about contacting the Dept. of Natural Resources is funding and their ability to really help this creature rather than euthanize. I agree something needs be done and soon. That poor bugger knows it's alone now and will settle in to die. Oh so not right....I don't envy you.

1 person likes this.
  5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Please keep us updated .

6. Blackberry Hill

Blackberry Hill Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2013
    Indiana, USA
    Hi, Kim --- Where are you in Indiana? I live here, too. About 45 minutes west of Bloomington. I could help you catch the gosling. If you want to keep him --- fine. If not, I'll bring him home. I have wooded acres with a small lake that Canadian geese hang out at. Hopefully, my African mama goose could adopt him. If not, I will adopt him myself. Let me know. Time is of the essence. Sherilyn

1 person likes this.
  7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I sure wish she'd post an update. [​IMG]

8. Mike Winters

Mike Winters Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    The DNR will probably just kill it, to them its a common species that is more annoying then useful.

1 person likes this.
  9. leanback

leanback Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2012
    Indiana, USA
    This picture is of today 8/14/2013 I know family will have to leave it soon to fly where ever they fly.
    Family didn't leave as I read thanks Miss Lydia, in practice.
    This is city lake I wouldn't be able to care for it, would be a silent evening kidnap if you wanted.

Why DNR don't mess with geese or ducks injured I guess too many.
    A hawk eagle no problem they would rescue..

All Any Advice welcome, if any wants to rescue view photos judge, I will be glad to help.

A Promise of it will not be for supper. lol

Kim
    Apologies for blurry, must get new camera or update cell
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks all

10. Blackberry Hill

Blackberry Hill Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2013
    Indiana, USA
    Hi, Kim --- THANK YOU so much for getting back to me with a PM.

Now we just have to figure out the best way to help this guy. I take it from the photos that he is fairly full grown?

I am thinking this over and I will get back to you after the weekend.

Three years ago, we rescued a domestic duck stranded on a frozen lake in December. This can't be harder than that except that was on private property and this is what, city owned or county?

Talk soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by