1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Canadian Geese

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rebecca22, Mar 7, 2017.

1. rebecca22

rebecca22 New Egg

Mar 7, 2017
    Am I able to help a goose remove mesh or netting wrapped around its mouth without getting injured? Please advise.

2. chickenweirdo1

chickenweirdo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Great to have another poultry lover! If the goose is wild you could cause its some stress.If your careful and can just pull it off or if you have to cut it use scissors or something i would say it would be fine.

3. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    If you are uncertain you can do it, contact a wildlife rescue. It's hard for any of us to say or guarantee you can do it safely since it depends on you, the bird, and the situation

4. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am so glad you joined us and I hope you will make yourself at home here! :frow

~Cuz

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think it would be good to have a helper. Throw a blanket or towel over the bird or just it's head if possible. A helper could hold the wings close to it's body - wings are powerful and used to fight off predators etc. You could wrap your arm around the bird's head/neck and with other arm try to pull mesh off. OR if you are a coward like me, I guess I would call animal control. Canadian Geese are protected in US even though they don't migrate anymore. So I think someone would come out pronto.

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Rebecca, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our flock! I agree with the advice of D'Diva above. I think it would be awesome to give the honker some help but it might be a two person job! Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!

7. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

You've received some good advice from the other greeters, I hope the goose will be alright.

8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under rebecca22 [​IMG] Welcome!

I have nothing to add to the great advice you have already received so I will just wish you and the goose all the best.

Please let us know how you go?

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by